Tuning Machines

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by ImAGoodDuck, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Unfortunatly, I need to replace my tuning machines before too long. The parts are worn out and metals are rattling together :( . I'm bummed cus I like um, the way it goes though. They are the single pegs, not the Tyrolean plates, I think they are "french pegs". Anyways, I'm thinkin of different pegs to buy. I'm looking for a good price range, so it looks like the Tyrolean seem to be the way to go. But what kind of extra work and cost wise would it be to go from the single tuning pegs to the plates? Any good ones you would recommend? Also I really dig Christian McBrides pegs, they are plates but the plates are kind of cut in half just looks cool. Any idea of what they are? Thanks
  2. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Hey GoodDuck

There are some nice looking tuners on the cremonasia.com site. I've never actually seen/tried them, however, perhaps some other TBers have and can comment? I did get a quote some months ago, and it seems they're around $200 a set. They have about 5 models (I like the Baker and French models), that look like French style (with separate gear and peg), however they're actually joined together on a small plate. I suspect having the pieces joined on a plate makes mounting easier....

3. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
  4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I went from tuners on a plate to separate tuners cause I like the look better. Jeff Bollbach has some tuners from Jacques (cremonasia) that he has "tweaked" to get a smoother response; I got'em cause I thought they were purty.

5. Those ARE purty, Ed!

I'm currently negotiating with a store to get me a Strunal tuner (it's for my worn D, but I think they're all the same). I guess this is an advantage of individual tuners, you can replace one at a time, if you can find them. You know you're in trouble when you can wiggle the tuning key a lot and nothing moves!
  6. Those do look really good Ed. They look beyond my price range thats for sure lol. McBride's tuners can be seen at his webpage. I really like that look and I think that the Tyrolean would be good a closer price for me. I haven't seen any made like that so if I were to cut out the piece my self would there be any thing wrong with it, structural or otherwise?
  7. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Is what you are looking for listed here?; http://www.internationalviolin.com/searchpage.cfm?category=MACHIN&expanded=13,4,75&stype=cat
  8. McBride's bass.jpg

Here is a picture of his bass. I didn't see one in that link Ken but thanks for it. Some of those prices on the single tuning machines don't look bad there. The other thing is that I'm having it done by a friend of mine who is a luthier at a shop and he's gonna get them for me at cost and no shop mark up. The only thing is that I have no idea what kind of a difference that would make lol. What would the change in price be?
  9. jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    This is McBride's bass?? Who'sever it is could really
    use a Bass Bib :)
  10. jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I like the seperate tuners better myself. Is there any
    reason that a particular bass would HAVE to have
    the plate style?? I've wondered if it was some kinda
    reinforcement or covered a defect in the scroll or
    something like that.

In any case, when I upgrade to my next bass its gonna
    have some as cool looking as yours Ed :)