Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuning Machines???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RAM, Jul 17, 2002.

1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have a MIM Jazz and can't stand the tuning machines. It's not the look I'm as concerned about as the functionality. They just seem kind of...well...floppy, for lack of a better word. I contacted a local shop and they said that "all tuners are about the same". I don't buy it, not a bit! So, guess who's not getting my business.

Anyway, I was curious to see if anyone could recommend really nice, tight, non-floppy, open-back "elephant ear" tuners that would fit my Jazz.

Also, prices and places to buy would be very helpful.

Thanks!

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
  3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Has anyone replaced the tuners on their bass and found a big difference? The Hipshot Ultralites seem like really nice tuners. But, 3 tuners plus a Hipshot Extender for the "E" string adds up to about $110. For a MIM Jazz, I'm wondering if it's worth it...

4. I have a MM copy that has 3 schaller tuners, and one stock tuner.

The stock tuner was pretty crappy, and I had to fiddle with it to get it tighter. I actually had to add a shim under the gear.

Different tuners do make a difference, IME.

5. The tuners sold by Stewart MacDonald called their economy tuner are some of the finest tuners you'll ever find in that price range. If you'll note on cheap tuners, they have a piece of scrap metal wedged behind or under the worm gear. This is a shim to keep the tuner tight. BAD, BAD, BAD!

StewMac's tuners have a cast frame (not stamped), tapered posts, and the worm gear is sealed at the end with an allen screw lash adjuster. This is tightened if you should experience some slop in the way the gear turns. All in all, features that aren't found on some more expensive tuners.

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I didnt like the MIM tuners, either. Felt like I was grinding coffee instead of tuning the strings. I replaced them with MIA Fender tuners for $50.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    See, this is the stuff I know absolutely nothing about!

I'm kind of intrigued by the Hipshot Ultralites...anybody have experience with them? Or, are they a waste of money, compared to StewMac's "economy tuners"???

8. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    My luthier swaers by them!
    They're lite, have one of the best ration 27:1 and are very stable. It's good stuff. If you don't mind satin coloring, Stew Mac has some good price on individual tuning machine.
    take care
    PL

9. on stew macs catalog, it says the ratio is 20:1

10. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    It's not clear... allpart list the gear ratio at 27:1, stew mac puts it at 20:1.
    Accorfing to Hipshop, there American classic is at 27:1... they don't specify for they're ultralight serie.

hipshot go check it out for your self.
    PL

11. If it boils down to the question does the Ultralight do the job of tuning the bass better than the economy tuners the answer is "No". The only other things offered by the Ultralights is weight savings and different looks. If you don't need the lighter weight because of some neck dive condition, then the only thing left to look at is whether the cost is justified for the appearance. Of course this is subjective, and for me it's a resounding "No" also. I'm not cheap, I'm pragmatic and I think it would be wasteful of hard earned cash to drop a premium part like the Ultra's on an MIM Jazz. IMO there IS a place for these tuners but a $200 bass made into a $600 bass isn't it.