Tuning my 4 string B-E-A-D

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by VixStyle, Jan 9, 2004.

1. VixStyle

Jan 9, 2004
    Ok… I needed new strings for my bass and ordered some online. Well, I guess I fudged up because I received a five string set.

I figured I could just install EADG and it wouldn’t make a difference (right?), but I started thinking about installing BEAD. But my friend says I would need to make adjustments to my bass to do this.

I don’t know if my friend knows what he’s talking about or not, so what are your thoughts?

*I have a Squier P-Bass

*The strings I got are Rotosound/Swing Bass/Long Scale/Medium Light Gauge/RS66LB

*And yes, I’m a noob.
  2. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    You will have to do some adjustments. The major thing will be if the B string will fit into the nut or not, if it does then you don't have to worry aobut it, but if not you will have to have the nut filed to fit the gauge of the B string. Other then that a complete set up will be needed which is very minor and can be done for pretty cheap if you don't know how to. Use the search feature here to find out about doing your own set up, there are lots of threads on it and is a very cost saving element to learn how to do your own. Hope I helped,
    Welcome to talk bass,
  3. VixStyle

Jan 9, 2004
    Oh I'm sorry, I just saw all the threads about BEAD tuning :oops:
  4. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    you can, of course, just go ahead and string EADG or ...

especially sinse your B string is a light set .120
    the nut probably won't be too bad - at least to try at first-
    - but you'll also have to consider intonation
    so yes, screwing back saddles to adjust string length (easy enough)
    and also how the B string at about 31 Hz is gonna sound through your amp/speaker setup.

it'll mostly get you to play over 3 strings or at least higher up the fretboard
    and with a 20 fret bass you only lose higher than A# above the 220 Hz A3
    (not A4 like I said in an older post) fret 15 and higher of a G string
    but you'll gain the low B to D#1 ...

and you are then a real low-life :D
  5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    if the lighter guage, is too light for you, and a heavier one (.130 B) won't fit, you could always just sand the nut.