1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tuning my six string bass E-E

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Cliff em'All, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Cliff em'All

Cliff em'All

Sep 27, 2004
    Ive always wanted to tune my six string bass (my secondary bass) E-E just for fun , so it would make it kinda like a barritone guitar ...what would be required to do this ? Im prolly gonna use the strings to a seven string bass and just not use the fattest string and use all the rest . Would tress rod adjusting be required? cause i did this one time to my bass and the high e string was tight as hell

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    It'll need a full setup.

You'll probably need a new nut, truss rod, saddle height and intonation adjustment.

3. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I did it on my carvin 6 string..bought Conklin snakeskins, and no set-up/adjustment was needed..it sounds and plays great!

4. you mean, basically, string it like a guitar, only in the bass octave instead?

5. Cliff em'All

Cliff em'All

Sep 27, 2004
    took my bass to a shop to get it resetup and i used 7 string bass strings n just left out the b string , so its gettin tuned E-E :bassist: i shall see how i like it :D

6. I think you'll like it - I used to tune my 7-string BEADGBE. I could play whacked out chord voicings on that thing, much to the bewilderment of guitarists. :D

I had it converted to an 8-string a few months ago, it is now tuned BEADGCEA, which is like a baritone tuned to A... very, very fun.