Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuning my six string bass E-E

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Cliff em'All, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Cliff em'All

Cliff em'All

Sep 27, 2004
    Ive always wanted to tune my six string bass (my secondary bass) E-E just for fun , so it would make it kinda like a barritone guitar ...what would be required to do this ? Im prolly gonna use the strings to a seven string bass and just not use the fattest string and use all the rest . Would tress rod adjusting be required? cause i did this one time to my bass and the high e string was tight as hell

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    It'll need a full setup.

You'll probably need a new nut, truss rod, saddle height and intonation adjustment.

3. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I did it on my carvin 6 string..bought Conklin snakeskins, and no set-up/adjustment was needed..it sounds and plays great!

4. you mean, basically, string it like a guitar, only in the bass octave instead?

5. Cliff em'All

Cliff em'All

Sep 27, 2004
    took my bass to a shop to get it resetup and i used 7 string bass strings n just left out the b string , so its gettin tuned E-E :bassist: i shall see how i like it :D

6. I think you'll like it - I used to tune my 7-string BEADGBE. I could play whacked out chord voicings on that thing, much to the bewilderment of guitarists. :D

I had it converted to an 8-string a few months ago, it is now tuned BEADGCEA, which is like a baritone tuned to A... very, very fun.