Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tuning out of sync?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jiro, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    strings get out of tune at different spots on the neck...all my strings basically go sharper at the 12 fret. My E goes way sharper though...the difference between open E to the octive E (same string) is about 6 Hz sharper.... the other strings Hz difference (doing the same thing) is about a 2 to 4 Hz differnce sharper...

I dont get it i followed this thing http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/intonation.html

and all it did was make my strings sharper or flater overall but the difference is still there...String hieght seems good...

I loosened the neck a bit like 1/6 turn just to see what would happen and no real change.

please help thanks

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Your intonation is off. You can adjust it at the bridge.

3. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    ok thanks i didnt think i had to turn those screws so much to make a difference and when i thought lengthening the strings made the strings sharper(Which tricked me) but intonation better if it began with it being sharper in the first place haha... thanks.

Ok Thanks. The Mods can delete this thread if they want... dont want to waste anybody elses time :oops:

4. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    Tune your string (a chromatic or rack mount tuner works best) at the 12th fret harmonic.

Don't use one of those old needle tuners. They suck. You shouldn't be using one anyway.

Once your string is perfectly in tune, adjust your intonation so your fretted 12th matches your harmonic 12th.

Easy.