1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuning Pedal needed

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chef FourString, May 19, 2011.

1. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    I need an accurate tuner pedal for around 50 bucks. Any suggestions? I would like a pitchblack but I'm not willing to pay a bill. Any help on this would be appreciated; as long as its not planet wave.

William C.A.

2. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Used pitchblack. Talk them down. :)

3. carbonfold

carbonfold

Oct 13, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    +1 on the pitchblack and they can go 50-60 used if you find the right seller. I would still have mine if I didn't want a ST-200 so bad.

4. Colonel129

Colonel129

Feb 23, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I have an extra Pitchblack in minty shape w/original box if you'd like to talk, send me a pm.

5. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    So pitchblack is pretty much the only way to go, then?

6. carbonfold

carbonfold

Oct 13, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    No, but it is all about accuracy and price when considering a stomp tuner.

In the $50 range is gonna get you:

Pitchblack, Boss TU-2, or a low accurate tuner. Of the two, Pitchblack is much more accurate vs. the Boss TU-2. So when considering value and accuracy, usually the Pitchblack wins.

The TU-2 isn't bad and I used one for years. If you find one of those dirt cheap, go for it. People swear by them. However, the TU-2 does have a buffer (is not a true bypass) and its accuracy isn't up to par compared to the Pitchblack. So also depending on "if" you like buffers or not... could sway you to TU-2 vs Pitchblack. I personally prefer true bypass :D.

IMO, the Pitchblack has carried itself has a poor musician's first choice. It is cheap, reliable, good display, and pretty darn accurate.

7. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Korg DT-10 is a solid choice, too. It's bigger than the Pitchblack but accurate to 1 cent. You should have no problem finding one in your price range.

Good luck.

8. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    Much appreciated, guys.

9. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    I've been using this GFS Tuner for a few weeks now without a problem. At 39.95 + Shipping it works very well for basic onstage tuning and staying in tune with the rest of the mix, and the screen is really big and bright so it's very easy to read.

I haven't used it outside so I can't speak for how visible it is in sunlight or under very bright lights.
    I also haven't used it for intonation adjustments. The visual on the pedal isn't really specific enough for that.

10. xikbastard

xikbastard

May 7, 2007
    Singapore
    pitchblack hands down +10000 worth every penny and last forever

11. You might also consider a Snark clip on tuner. Most clip on tuners kind of suck, but this one works really well. I think it's about $20 at Amazon.

12. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Have you seen this article?
    TECH 21 - TECH NOTES

13. kokoshmusun

kokoshmusun

Feb 5, 2011
    I used to have the planet waves tuner and back then I had found some info all over the web about how it's not true bypass. And now, on the link you provided, it lists "true hard bypass." Did they upgrade the design?

14. Apparently. When was 'back then'?