Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuning Peg Weight

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by skguitarsbasses, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Hey Guys- looking for some words of wisdom on the weight of some of the more popular brands of tuners. I am finishing up a project and had purchased 6 gotoh tuners, I had used sperzel's in the past, but wanted to give another brand a shot. Turns out that these tuners are going to be way too heavy- neck dive!
    I know that sperzels are pretty light, but I was wondering if anyone knows how the hipshot ultralights compare? Is it a dramatic enough difference between the hipshots and gotohs to remedy a bit of dive?
    Thanks as always!

Shane

2. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    According to Hipshot, four Ultralites weigh as much as five Gotohs.

3. Hi
    I wish the following will help you. Those are the result of a search I did a longtime ago. So check again their webpage to be sure.
    If the unit (gram) doesn't make sense to you you can use http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/ to transform them to ounce, pound or whatever you'd like it...

HB6Y Ultralite Y Key with ½” dia 42 grams
    HB6Y Ultralite Y Key with 3/8” dia 51 grams
    HB6C Ultralite Clover Key with ½” dia 47 grams
    HB6C Ultralite Clover Key with 3/8” dia 56 grams

Custom Shop Parts tuners 61 grams (I measured it)

Schaller M4 tuners 68 grams
    Schaller BML Light Bass Tuners from Warmoth 57 grams

Gotoh GB7 tuners 64 grams

Fender Precision and Jazz Deluxe use the BT4S tuners 123 grams
    Fender basses between 1966 and 1982 used the Schaller BMFL tuners 110 grams
    G&L Musicman and Fender Mexican bass tuners weigh 95 grams

I'd be grateful if people can add all other bass tuning pegs' weight here... For example the Sperzel

4. Thanks for the very informative response!

5. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    I measured the Ultralites and the Schaller BM lites before we placed the order for the latter, and I didn't think they were that heavy.... I just went down and put a BM lite on our postal scale and got 1.8oz, or 51 grams.

6. I just weighed a Sperzel with the ferrule and washer - 49 grams with about 80% confidence. :)

7. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I have just emailed the very friendly people at Sounds Planet (www.sounds-planet.com or http://ssl.bfit.jp/~jby/), and they have given me weights for the newer Gotoh tuners:

GB350 : 40.0g
    GB707 : 64.4g
    GBS510 : Under investigation

They'll get back to me about the GBS510 (a very funky looking tuner!) - but they think the GB350 is the lightest bass tuner they have.

Looks like the GB350's beat the Hipshot Ultralite Y keys by just a hair though.

Pete

8. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Bumping this old thread because I kept running into it while shopping for tuners...

I found the Gotoh GB350's at Mojo musical supply. Never heard of them before, but found a little feedback and decided they were worth a try. Excellent service from them, I must say! :D

I got the 510's (the gold ones) from Allparts, through a friend who is an allparts dealer.

I decided to try the Gotohs since I put the Hipshot Ultralights on the last bass I built and they were ok but the one on the treble side of the headstock wants to loosen up sometimes when I change strings, and I thought I could find something that felt a little smoother. Maybe some of the black powdercoating got on the gears or something, but my ultralights feel a tiny bit grindy when I turn them. Both of these Gotohs look and feel great! I especially like the funky lima bean knobs on the 510's. I can't wait to get the basses finished so I can check them out under tension.

I have a scale for my model helicopter parts so I was able to get accurate measurements. The 510's weigh about 63.5 and the GB350's are about 39.25. I say about because the tuners vary by maybe a quarter gram or so from one to the next.

Lookin' Gooooood!

[​IMG]

9. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    You still happy with the GBS510 tuners Wade? I'm going with these on a custom build after years of faithful Hipshot Ultralight usage. The Gotohs look great, and I have heard that the gearing and mechanism is fantastic, better than Ultralights, if thats possible.. Just curious how you like em now that the honeymoon is over?

10. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Haven't finished the project yet but I'll be happy to report back when I do actually put the tuners into service. :)

11. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Thanks, keep us posted!

12. pepelemofo

pepelemofo

Apr 16, 2010
    Any update on these tuners? I'm trying to decide between them....

13. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    No sorry. I kind of got side tracked and haven't finished this project yet. I'll wrap it up one of these days but couldn't say when it will be.

Been working on something much heavier these days...

[​IMG]

blindrabbit likes this.
  14. pepelemofo

pepelemofo

Apr 16, 2010
    now that's a nice bass!

lowdowndude likes this.
  15. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Haha! Well you might think it's off topic but I'll tell ya what... One of the reasons I bought it was because the trunk is big enough to haul my bass gear comfortably. Also it definitely has a nice bass rumble of it's own ;)

16. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Ahhh, that takes me back. My very first set of wheels was a '68 Galaxie 500 convertible in pale blue. I still dream about that 429...

17. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Just to follow up.. I've been using the 510's on my six for a couple months, and I'm very happy with them. They feel as solid and high quality as the ultralights, if not more-so. And aesthetically speaking, the smooth curves and rounded edges are ultra sweet..

18. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    +1 on that Jake.

The 510's feel very good and I would say probably a little more solid and smoother feeling than the hipshot ultralights I've used.

The GB350's though, those feel near perfect to me. It seems odd that the buttons have sort of a crummy looking satin finish on them while the bodies and posts are nice and bright. It does keep the fingerprints down I guess but it looks more like they couldn't get it right and less like they made it satin on purpose. At any rate, they are very light yet smooth and solid as can be. I like them a whole bunch and if I build another bass I'll use them again.

19. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    A couple of additions to keep this very useful thread relevant.

Hipshot HB3: 87g
    Hipshot HB3 De-tuner: 154g

20. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Am I reading this correctly?
    The GB 350 is lighter than the lightest Hipshot?