1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuning Peg Weight

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by skguitarsbasses, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Yes.

2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Does that make it the lightest in this 'survey ' up to now?

3. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Yes.

4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Thanks!

5. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    You're welcome. :bassist:

6. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Yep, they're super light. They're called Res-O-Lite tuners, which I think means plastic. I didn't scrape off any finish to check it, but it feels like the large parts must be plastic. Not that that's such a bad thing, I've been using them for a couple years now with no problems. Never had any issues holding a tuning, they turn nice and smooth and of course there's that weight thing. I'd use them again without hesitation.

7. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Yeah, the res-o-lite tuners use a lot of cast resin (plastic) parts. Nothing wrong with them.

8. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    +1
    Hipshot ultralites page talks all Bout their weight..weight of others..etc. pretty handy I think.

9. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I don't mind what they are made from either as long as they work.:)

10. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I've got Gotoh GB350's on my first bass, and the action is fantastic. Silky as can be, never ever slip, zero feeling of backlash.

The buttons (the heads that you turn) are plastic. As far as I can tell, the rest is metal. I would assume aluminum for the casing. I have them in what they call the X-Nickel finish, or something like that, which is a slightly dark nickel look with a teflon-y feel. When I have told people the buttons are plastic, they have found it hard to believe, as the finish is that good and matches the body casing that well.

The feels is decidedly smoother than the import "Licensed by Hipshot" Ultralights I have on another bass.

Here's a summary of the tuner weights I have found, from this thread and other sources. Each column is a different source, and you can see that they are not in perfect agreement.
    file-9.

Also, note that not only are the GB350's lighter than Ultralights, but so are some Schallers and Sperzels are on a par with some of the Ultralights.

bdplaid likes this.
  11. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I like the look and action of the ultralights better than other tuners I've used. The Gotoh GB-7's also have a nice smooth feel, but I don't think they look as nice as the HB6Y.

Really can't stand the sperzels.

mapleglo likes this.
  12. speeves

speeves

Apr 18, 2008
    Nevada
    Does anyone have a weight for the Gotoh GB11W?

thanks!

13. malpasso

malpasso

Apr 24, 2005
    Hipshot HB-1 (long Key) = 73 grams each, (83 with bushing and 4 screws) on my digital food scales, same as asian machineheads used by Sire (V7 Marcus Miller model) os Sterling SUB by Musicman.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  14. Not to get too deep here, but if you use Sperzels (I'm assuming these are the ones that lock the string in the tuner) you don't need to do string wraps, so that further removes weight from them - right? 3 string wraps on a five strings adds up to something when you're measuring grams.

15. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Get too deep? Never! :) I was curious, so I did the math.

Assumptions:
    - Worst case wraps -- comparing large-type ⌀1/2" posts with 2.5 wraps (i checked my basses, and all my posts have only 2 wraps) to Sperzel ⌀.300 shafts with 0.5 wraps (from tuning take-up)
    - assume the wraps being eliminated are of fully tapered-down string, which is taken to be as heavy as a .045 D'Addario XL (standard G string)

Result: 0.63 g weight savings per tuner. Thats 0.022 ounces, or about .11 ounces for 5 tuners.

Jisch likes this.
  16. I posted this recently in the Hipshot Tuner thread floating around, but it seems to me like it should be here too:

For anyone interested I had Oscar @ Hipshot check and actually weigh the current versions of the 3/8" Hipshot Ultra Light Y Key tuners - which he stated are as follows:

Licensed version: 50 grams each

USA version: 40 grams each

I have no idea why their website claims they are 44 grams and Oscar didn't either.

screen-shot-2016-12-14-at-6-18-50-pm-.

His comment?

Thanks for having me weigh them - I now have another reason to steer my customers toward the US ones....

17. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Interesting in theory but not in application. I have Sperzels on my Carvin and, once properly locked, still require ~3 wraps to "hit the deck" providing the necessary downward angle.

Riis

18. It's been a while since I've had Spertzels, but you don't always have to do that depending on the angle of the headstock. If I recall correctly on my Carvin LB75 I had a half a wrap, but I could be wrong on that one.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  19. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Fairly clean textbook install on a tilt-back headstock and it is closer to 2.5 wraps:

CarvinSperzel.

20. fritzk9

fritzk9 Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Indianapolis, IN
    Found weight of Gotoh GB11W is 86.0 grams.

mexicant likes this.