1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tuning pegs w/ wobble...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mello_bedwetter, Mar 15, 2008.

1. I have a Fender '92 Standard Jazz(MIM)and the tuning pegs don't seem to be tight. When I turn them to tune, sometimes they seem to wobble or not even "bite" the gear in order to turn the peg to tune. Is this common? Once it's tuned the tuning pegs seem to stay put. The wobble when turning it just doesn't seem right. I go to turn it and it feels like there's "slack", then it bites and I can tune.
    I have a Geddy Jazz('07')and I noticed it started doing it now. I changed strings and it did the same thing when tuning. I'm sure the pegs aren't supposed to do this, but is it common on the MIM and MIJ models? Is there a way to fix this problem or do I just need to change tuning pegs? If so, what brand and model would you recommend? Thanks.
    By the way, it looks like the original pegs on the Standard(MIM)were all ready changed. There are a separate set of holes for the peg on the back of the headstock. The tuners that are on there now are Schaller.

2. I've been told by others on here they have had the same problem. I probably didn't explain myself very good. Some say it's just the Vintage style tuners that are on the MIM and MIJ basses.