Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuning Problem -- what tuner should I get?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dmaki, Dec 4, 2003.

1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    Right now I only have a cheapo Korg chromatic tuner with an LED needle and its impossible to tune correctly; intonation is even worse. I was going to get a Boss TU-2 stage tuner, but its margin of error is +/- 3%, which I've heard is pretty bad.

What is a good tuner that doesn't cost too much? I saw the Peterson Strobe tuners, and they seem pretty nice, but even their lowest ones are pretty pricey. I suppose I'd pay $200 for a tuner if its dead-on accurate and will last for decades, but if I want to make sure I get the right one.

So what have you found that works well, is long lasting, and doesn't cost more than taking a college class?

2. Moved.

Merls

3. IMO, if you can hear +/- 3% you don't need a tuner.

4. just because you can hear if a note is 3 cents off doesnt mean you have perfect pitch. man do i wish i had perfect pitch....sorta;)

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I use a Sabine ZIP-1000 chromatic. I love it.

6. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I bought a crappy Yamaha one (YT-120) the other day and I'm not impressed. I put some new strings on my bass, and get that stupid thing all ready, following the instructions perfectly and.....nothing. I guess I deserve it for getting a cheap tuner. Taking it back and getting a good one on Monday.

7. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i have a korg CA-20 that works well enough, though if i were to start gigging id probably want some sort of pedal tuner.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The TU-2 is fine.

9. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I agree with Munjibunga, my Boss TU-2 works great. The other guys in the band tune to me even though they all have tuners. The only drawback to the TU-2 is that it is so easy to use that you can become obsessed with tuning. I catch myself checking every couple of songs even though I'm still in tune and rarely have to tweak the tuning.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There's nothing wrong with checking your tuning between songs if you have the time. There is something wrong with playing out of tune.

11. intellitouch bare bones. Most accurate ive used. however, the KORG CA-30 aint half bad either

12. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    You know, you're exactly right. I'm going to keep on checking. I play in church so we do have time between songs. Thanks, I feel better now! :)