Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuning Problem

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by tsolo, Nov 6, 2003.

1. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    I have an A string that is almost impossible to tune. It clicks and goes sharp then clicks and goes flat. I used graphite on the bridge and nut. LaBella round wound gut. Any suggustions on what this is?

2. Have you checked to see if it is slipping around the peg? After changing strings once I had a string that would slip. I rewrapped it around the peg and made sure if looped over itself and that cured the problem for me.

3. Sathington

Sathington

Oct 29, 2003
    NJ
    I've had this same problem on an instument that I was making. (yes, I do create new instruments.) And I was using tuning pegs for a classical guitar. I looked at the tuning gear and noticed that the reason it was doing this was because one of the "teeth" on the gear was worn away so that every time you turned the tuning peg and the gear came to the part with the worn tooth, it didn't hold and snapped back. I don't know If you exactly understand what I'm trying to explain here... but basically you are going to have to buy a new gear. Don't worry though, I'm sure they're pretty inexpensive. Good Luck!

4. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    sounds to me like both of those explanations could cause a string to go flat (i've dealt with string slippage on the peg before), but HAN TSOLO also describes the problem including 'clickin' and going sharp.

sounds more like a winding problem to me, as if a loose winding is catching in the bridge groove, or the nut. tsolo, you said you used graphite in these areas - have you looked closely to make sure it's working?

sean p

5. Sathington

Sathington

Oct 29, 2003
    NJ
    While we're on the topic of tuners I may as well post my problem here instead of creating a whole new thread. I'm fixing a DB for my school and so far I've repaired the cracked neck, high bridge action, but I still have yet to fix one last problem. The treble side tuners are bothe screwed up. When you try to tune them (the D and G string) it is very resistant and makes a horrible squeaking noise. So I took off the tuning plate(?) (not sure what it's called) that has the tuners and gears but not the tuning pegs on it and it still squeeked, so I knew it wasn't a problem with the tuning posts. I then proceeded to remove the tuning gears and when I turned the tuners they still screeched and resisted. So I know the problem is only between the part of the tuner that you physically turn with your hands and the plate that connects it to the bass. Right now I am boiling the plate with the two squeeky tuners on it. I don't know what else tro do!! Does anybody have any other suggestions?

6. How about a little lubrication. Boiling????

7. Sathington

Sathington

Oct 29, 2003
    NJ
    Well I just finnished boiling a matter of a few seconds ago and it worked GREAT!! The tuners don't resist or squeak one bit! (although it did strip the black paint off, but whatever!)

8. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    The string isn't slipping. I think it IS at the bridge mr P. I'll take a file to it. Any suggestions? Should I take wood off the front and back of the bridge at the groove or make the groove 'flatter' over the top of the bridge. Man, I hope that makes sense. This is driving me crazy.

mmmmm, boiled gear water... season to taste.

9. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    i understand what you mean, but i don't know the answer. real luthiers?

sean p

10. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    I figured it out. The groove was smaller on the tail piece side than the finger board side. I widened it up just a skosh. Thanks for the suggestions. Someday, I won't be so intimidated to perform my own setup. It's just so costly to have an error repaired.

11. Sathington

Sathington

Oct 29, 2003
    NJ
    You know - a link to this thread should probably be added to the Newbie Faq for setup of Double Basses since there isn't anything else in there about tunong problems.