1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tuning Program?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Demon, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Hey guys, i got my bass now, sadlyy i have to run it through the computer, so the sound aint best;D but anyway anyone knows a program that can tune the bass? I know i should learn by ear, bu t i have no clue, and ill learn later, after i know how it should sound:) It has to be free btw!:)

2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Well, if you have a Mac, GarageBand has a built-in tuner. Alternatively, you can go to www.activebass.com and click the pitchfork icon in the lower left corner and that will pop up a window where you can play the E, A, D & G notes.

I'm sure if you do a google search you can find other tuning programs as well.

3. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Ive searched and found some. but the computer doesnt seem to react when i play the strings, i tried plugging it to both linein and microphone.:/ what am idoin wrong

4. bill_banwell

bill_banwell Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I recommend http://www.activebass.com 's tuner. Its in the bottom left among other tools such as the Metronome, and tune to the notes they have, E A D G, you should hear when the note is exactly the same as the note coming through your speakers.

5. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    I really need something that detects frequency, the only way to hear good from speakers is raising volume, but then the test thing will burst my ears lol:/ So i tried 3 programs, using MIC and Line IN, plugging the bass thru a converter, but it doesnt detect soudn! please help:/

6. Zachass

Zachass Peavey Partizan

I use the free guitar pro 4 demo. It works passibly and you can tune with the digital tuner or do it by ear if you like.

7. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Okay, but the problem is the sound doesnt seem to register in the program, I plugged it in both the MIC and Line in, and im sure theyr turned on, so whats wrong?

8. Zachass

Zachass Peavey Partizan

Should work if you plug into the line in on your soundcard. Maybe a problem with your soundcard, make sure the line in volume is up.

9. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    A program that saves you $20 for a tuner and only requires an internet connection to tune up before the gig!

10. Skeletomania

Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong
  11. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    +1,000,000

I've actually got them built into most of my instruments, which allows you to talk to the audience between songs and tune at the same time.

12. Zachass

Zachass Peavey Partizan

very useful, how much does that cost?