1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tuning question about G and high B String.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cassanova, Apr 12, 2009.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I asked JT a question in the double neck guitar thread over in basses a question about how he tunes both necks. His reply made me think of something that I never really stopped to think of before until now.

He tunes b-e-a-d-g-b-e, which I know is an alternate tuning and guitars tune e-a-d-g-b-e. But in both cases the G to B string are only tuned a 3rd. Perhaps someone can explain to me why the one string is tuned a 3rd rather the 4th like the rest.

2. Asher S

Asher S

Jan 31, 2008
    MA
    Since, as you wrote, G-to-B-to-E is conventional tuning for a 6-string guitar, many people know chords in that tuning.

3. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    If you want to get into the nitty gritty of "why", there's a book out there called Fretboard Logic that explains it pretty well. It basically comes down to the ease of creating chord shapes. If you've ever played a lot of chords on bass you'd know that there are some pretty awkward shapes with straight-fourths tuning. Chord shapes are a LOT more malleable and easy to work with if you have that major third interval.