Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuning question....

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by $$$TRIS$$$, Aug 7, 2001.

1. $$$TRIS$$$

$$$TRIS$$$

Aug 7, 2001
    Hi...

Well i'm VERY new here, but i guess you can i can cliche and say 'long time reader first time poster'.. anyway i decided to sign up, congratulations to whoever owns this site... people here seem so friendly...(which is strange for todays world)

Anyway i had a question about tuning. Now this may make me seem stupid so bear with me...

Say i want to tun down to D, A, D, G

Howabouts do you do this on a tuner. Does it just mean i get my tuner, put it to manual string (D) and tune my E to a D? I don't think so, i've tried that and it'll damage the neck if i tightened it that much..

I hope that makes sense.....

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    THe note you are looking for is a tone lower than your E string at concert pitch (440) so slacken off the E string a bit and play the D string until they match.

Some tunes do not respond to lower notes so get it near by ear and try the tuner. If it does work then good. If not use your tuner for ADG and your ear for the D

BTW hipshot do a machinehead with a switch so you can play in standard tuning and hit the switch for a lower note (you choose C being the lowest I think)

The biggest problem with leaving the bass in drop D is that you can stuff up the neck due to different tensions. Last para is opinion of course.

3. Or fret the 2nd fret, then tune it to E, when you take your finger off, the open note will be D.

4. Unless your intonations is *way* off, this should work fine. :)

5. Or use harmonic tuning.

Play the 12th fret D string harmonic, and simultaneously play the 5th fret E string harmonic, then tune the E string down till the "waves" are gone.

6. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    since you are so new to this it would be helpful to note that your bass will stay in tune better if you tune up to the note you want instead of down.
    What I mean is, if you want to drop to D, tune lower than the note you want like Dflat or something, and then tune up until you get the right pitch. The tuners are made to work this way and will hold the string in tune better.

7. but if you hold down the 2nd fret then when try to tune to E wouldn't the sound not change? so how would you know when your at the E???

8. When tuned to D, 2nd Fret on 4th (E) String is now E. When 2nd fret is E, open string is D

9. ok, i understaind now, thank you :)