Tuning Question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JSystolic, Apr 4, 2003.

1. JSystolic

Jan 1, 2003
    When Bands tune down to Eb or D on guitar and bass does the drums have to tune down also?

This kind of make sense to me because each tom , bass drum and snare are tuned to a different notes . I ask this 'cause me and my band try to tune down to fit better the vocalist but when we did , it sounded messed up. Could this be it or is it something else?

2. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I started playing drums in Jr. High...long before I became a full-time bass player, and I never tuned my drums to a "note", nor do I know any other drummers that tune their drums to notes. While some drum manufacturers like DW may stamp a recommended pitch tuning on the inside of the drum shell, the usual practice is to tune the drum to a pitch that is the most resonant and "in tune with itself and all of the other drums", as this may change with time, humidity, weather, altitude, temperature, etc. Bottom line:you drummer should not have to change how he tunes his drums, regardless of the tuning you're playing in..droped D, DADGAD, DADGBD, EADGBE, etc. I would guess that everyone either didn't go down to the same note, or that someone doesn't know how to play in an alternate or dropped tuning.
  3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Out of interest, if you tune a drum to a particular note, is there more chance it will resonate when that note is played? If so, that could be a good argument for not tuning to specific pitches, to avoid adding unwanted mush to the sound.

4. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Hi there,

This should be in Miscellaneous. I will move it there.

Have a nice day :)