Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuning up 2 1/2 steps ???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MrTsurphr, May 26, 2001.

1. MrTsurphr

MrTsurphr

May 26, 2001
    O-town
    The other day I had the idea to take a 4 string bass and put the top 4 strings from a 5 string set, basically moving the strings down, then tuning each string up 2 1/2 steps to bring them up to standard tune. I took one of my 4 strings and started tuning them up 2 1/2 steps to match the next string, and I was pleased with the result. I popped my 3rd string tho, and didn't even try on the 4th. Does anyone know of a way to make this work? Is there a set of strings out there that can withstand being pulled that tight ? Thanks

=CT=

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have never tried anything like that, but it seems to me that it would put a lot of stress on your neck.

3. MrTsurphr

MrTsurphr

May 26, 2001
    O-town
    Hmm.. well I think I'll pass on that idea then. However I do wonder if anyone makes a string designed to be pulled a little tighter than normal. I fingerpick my bass mostly, but when I do play with a pick I like the response from a tighter string, I get less fret rattle.

=CT=

4. What kind of strings are you using now?

5. That's a lot of pressure on the neck. Is it graphite? I would think that a wood neck wouldn't like that very much.

6. 2 half steps is a whole step, for future reference.

7. LaBella M70.