1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tuning up 2 1/2 steps ???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MrTsurphr, May 26, 2001.

1. MrTsurphr

MrTsurphr

May 26, 2001
    O-town
    The other day I had the idea to take a 4 string bass and put the top 4 strings from a 5 string set, basically moving the strings down, then tuning each string up 2 1/2 steps to bring them up to standard tune. I took one of my 4 strings and started tuning them up 2 1/2 steps to match the next string, and I was pleased with the result. I popped my 3rd string tho, and didn't even try on the 4th. Does anyone know of a way to make this work? Is there a set of strings out there that can withstand being pulled that tight ? Thanks

=CT=

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have never tried anything like that, but it seems to me that it would put a lot of stress on your neck.

3. MrTsurphr

MrTsurphr

May 26, 2001
    O-town
    Hmm.. well I think I'll pass on that idea then. However I do wonder if anyone makes a string designed to be pulled a little tighter than normal. I fingerpick my bass mostly, but when I do play with a pick I like the response from a tighter string, I get less fret rattle.

=CT=

4. What kind of strings are you using now?

5. That's a lot of pressure on the neck. Is it graphite? I would think that a wood neck wouldn't like that very much.

6. 2 half steps is a whole step, for future reference.