Tuning up and the effect on the neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbibb, Aug 15, 2005.

1. jbibb

Jul 8, 2005
    Juneau, Alaska
    I recently purchased a new Fender Jazz...maple neck, and am curious to folks' experience with tuning the up a half tone and the effect on the neck.

I'm playing in a Celtic Rock band which involves scottish pipes. To match they tone, I have to adust my tuning to a up...putting a bit of extra stress on the neck.

Are the necks for a fender Jazz designed for this and if not to a re-tune after a practice or gig down to releive pressure?

I had a precision bass back in the early eighties that had a terrible neck warp that counld never be fixed.

I welcome any experience.
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Go with slightly lighter strings, this should negate the extra stress.
  3. jbibb

Jul 8, 2005
    Juneau, Alaska
    I'm using stock, what would be a lighter string set...and if possible, what would you recommend?
  4. First find out what you're playing on, standard gauges are usually around 45-100, for tuning up you'd want to negate the extra tension put on the neck, so depending on how high you're tuning, you could try 40-95, 35-90, etc. I believe Zon makes really light gauge strings, as do Fodera.
  5. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but if you are just tuning up a semitone, why do it at all? All you would be missing by playing in standard tuning would be the highest note on the G string, which probably doesn't come up that often.

The only way I can see this helping much is if you are reading sheet music which is written for a bass tuned a semitone higher than usual (in other words, an A on the sheet translates to Bb in standard tuning)