Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuning Up Low B to C

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by invisiman, Apr 2, 2005.

1. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I did a search, and I came up with some conflicintg information/not enough information. First of all, will uptuning to C have any negative effects on the neck of my bass? Any Negative effects on the string?

Secondly, what gauge of string should I use? Or will they all be stable, and unlikely to break when tuned up? Thanks in advance, everyone :bassist:

2. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    Tuning up bass strings in general is a bad idea, as they create enough tension on the instrument as it is, but tuning up one string could cause some nasy neck bending... why do you need to tune it up? I would imangine that with some creativity you could play just about every thing by using the string while tuned to B...

3. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I don't need to tune it up, I was just looking for an easy(ier) way to play As I Am by Dream Theater.

4. I don't think it would be a problem.
    As for the uneven tension between the strings, they don't have the same tension to begin with, you would probably end up evening things up a bit.

5. I agree. I don't think you would hurt anything by tuning up that half-step. Are you talking about tuning up all the strings or just the low B up to C?
    On some basses, that might actually help things a bit, because the low B tends to be slack and hard to play. But it might be like learning to play a new instrument if you only uptuned that one string.

As far as neck tension goes, it might require you to tweak the truss rod a bit (tighten), depending on how your action is currently set. But hey, truss rods need to be adjusted from time to time anyway.

Mag...

6. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I'm only planning on doing the B. And if I tighten it, I would have to lower the action, correct? (I don't have my bass with me)

7. Not necessarily. Try it and see how the string feels. The extra tension might allow you to lower the action a bit if it was higher than you liked, but you'll have to try it to see.

Mag...

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I do this. Well, did for quite some time. No, there's no real negative to this. I tuned CFBbEbAb, and there's no real detriment. It's very little difference, tension wise between C and B. Even tuning everything up, I never needed to adjust my truss rod, and the neck never budged.

It's fine, go for it.

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Percy Jones tunes his bass CEADG.