1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tuning "UP"

Discussion in 'Ask David Overthrow' started by bignus, May 4, 2010.

1. bignus

bignus

May 4, 2010
    pittsburgh
    I was wondering if tuning a 5 string low "B" UP to an "E" and so forth will mess anything up as far as my neck or truss rod?

2. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    Yes it will mess things up, especially if your neck is not set up for that kind of tension.

If you have it properly set up it might work, but would you be tuning all the strings up a string or just the B?

3. Make sure you don't use a B string gauge to tune up to E. In addition to putting crazy amounts of tension on your neck, it will likely snap the string. And if it hits you...OUUCH!

4. bignus

bignus

May 4, 2010
    pittsburgh
    crap! I was hoping to tune them ALL up. I just cant seem to get a "tight" sound out of my low B so I figured why not trry to get that fat-assed string up to an "E". But I guess thats how one learns. Thanks guys!

5. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Try a .135 b string if you aren't already. Also hex core and pressurewound strings tend to feel a little stiffer. I personally prefer D'Addario XL's, the just feel better to me.

6. As stated in other replies, you do not want to tune a low B up to an E. What scale is your bass? I have found that many 34' (not all) 5 string basses often feel like a rubber band and they don't sound very "tight". I am not saying that you can't get a 34' scale 5 string that the B string sounds good. You will find however that many nice 5 string basses are 35" scale basses. The luthier that builds my custom basses insists on 36" scale basses for any bass with a low B.

Good luck.

Dave

7. So why dont you play a 4 string??

Or do like I do and tune up to C standard.

8. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Because the store was closed one night, instead of waiting for new strings, I tuned my four string UP to ADGC... when you have four high tension strings lash back across the palm of your hand, you'll realize that it's just one of those things you don't try...