Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tuning your bass different

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by z4knerd, Sep 26, 2004.

1. z4knerd

z4knerd

Jul 1, 2004
    ive noticed alot of metal bands / system of a down/ killswitch engage/ atreyu tune their basses FCGC instead of EADG.. I want to tune my 2nd bass this way permanently, but I was wondering - how would this affect the neck / truss rod etc? what kind of adjusting would I have to do? thanks

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Your neck will probably get a back bow, so you may need to loosent he trussrod a bit. Nothing major. Good luck!

3. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Yep, truss rod tweak. The strings might (actually, will) flop around a lot, so play softly or raise the action a bit too. You might buy a pack of 5-strings and use the BEA and D strings, that'll bring the tension up a bit. Err, wait, that is downtuning, right??

4. what are you guys talking about? He wants to tune UP. That means more tension on the neck and tighter strings. Heavier gage strings are the WRONG way to go. If anything a slightly lighter gage would be in order.

5. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    He wants to tune down.

If memory serves me right, the guy from System of a Down tunes to CGCF... z4nerd just typed it the wrong way. He wants to tune the E down to a C, the A down to a G, the D down to a C and the G down to an F.

I also seem to recall that the System of a Down bassist uses Ernie Ball five string sets and just throws out the E string.

You'd want to get your bass set up properly to do this.

6. Skit1

Skit1 Guest

Jul 2, 2004
    England

Correct! :hyper:

7. deathsdj

deathsdj

Sep 18, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    I dug this old thread up from the grave! I'm interested in learning more about FCGC tuning as I am interested in a bass that comes tuned that way. I have always used standard tuning but I'm trying to expand my knowledge. I guess I want to know why you would tune a bass like this.

Cheers!

MJW