Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tuning..?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sys.of a down, Mar 28, 2002.

1. hello all.im new to playing bass and to this forum.and as a big fan of system of a down,i was wondering if anyone knew how to tune my 4 string to the same as their bassist.(c,g,c,f).thanks!

2. take a good look at your bass.. on the top there's a wooden piece called the 'headstock'.. on it there are 4,5,6 or sometimes even more iron mechanisms.

your strings are connected to those iron mechanisms, which we will call ' tuners ' for the time being..

if you turn your tuner clockwise or counterclockwise... the string will increase or decrease tension.. the tension of a string determines the tuning of it..

turn your E string so that it will show on your tuner as C.. repeat this step with the other strings as well, turn them until they are the way you want them..

voilla.

3. u know all of that.i just need to know how to tune it by ear,as pitchpipes dont have f and neither does a tuner.

oh, and by the way,anyone who doesnt know what a headstock or machine head is,should just forget about playing.

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    OK, here's a thought. You know where c is - on the A string 3rd fret. Right, well play that note and play the open E. It'll sound horrible!!!! detune the E string until it sounds like the C - but 1 octave down!!

Now that you have the bottom string tuned to a low C, play the A string open and play your new C string at the 7th fret - and adjust the A string until it's in tune with you C string Fretted at the 7th. This'll give you G!

To tune your next C string just play the new G string at the 5th fret and play your D string open and tune it to the G string at the 5th - now you have C. You should be able to play your bottom C string and this newly tuned C string and they'll be 1 octave apart - ie sounds the same but the thinner string is of a higher pitch.

For your F string - play your thinly tune E string at the 4th fret and play the thinnest (normally G string) open and tune them together!

Hopefully this makes sense and I have got it right! BTW - that is really weird tuning!!!

5. know thy fretboard layout ;)

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Yeah. But I finally figured it out. It's drop-D (DADG), and then drop the whole thing down another full step. Can you say floppy? :eek:

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, time to get a chromatic tuner, I'd say.

Or do it like this:

Play the 4th fret on the E and tune it to the pitch of open E.

Play the 7th fret on the E and tune your A to it.

Tune the A to the octave (12th fret) of the lowest string (C)

Tune the G to the 5th fret of the A string.

But really get a chromatic tuner, saves a lot of headache.

8. the fretboard is really quite simple. the notes go in alphabetical order, A through G, with an accidental between each one (except between B and C, and between E and F).
    A, A#, B, C, C#.....

it always baffles me. why do people want to try an alternate tuning if they don't even know how how music works in standard tuning??? figure out the basics.

9. well,i do know how to tune it to standard and i know all of my notes.but when i tune to standard,i use pitchpipes.thanks everyone.