Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Disturb3d, Dec 4, 2002.

1. How would you tune a 4 string base??? I just wanted to know because have no idea if mine is out of tune or not! I think it is! It sounds like crap but i don't know how to tune it.... COULD YOU HELP ME? :confused:

2. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I could if I could read that green text.

Buy a tuner. It's the easiest and most accurate way.
  3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    do a search, for the love of god, do a search.
  4. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    How do you tune a base?

I'm guessing the same way you tune a bass.

Twisting those metal things at the top.
  5. Get a tuner.

The lowest string, (pitch wise, not the one closest to the floor) is normally tuned to E, then A, D and G.

Or you can do it with a tuning fork.

Get a tuning fork with the pitch of E, and tune the E string to that pitch. Then fret the 5th fret of the E string and play that against an open A string, and tune the A string to the pitch of the E. Repeat for the D and G strings, fretting the 5th of the A against an open D, and the 5th of the D against an open G.
  6. Hmmm how new are u to playin bass i wudnt feel too bad lol the first week i had my bass way back when i poped the A string tryin to tune it by ear i didnt have enough cash to buy a tuner :mad:
  7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHO THIS IS. i like him. Some mod or some talkbasser has made a name to mock the trolls. i like it. i like it alot.
  8. mock the trolls lol i dont know about that one i just thoought it would be a cool name i wuz drunk at the time gk is just the amp i have
  9. Anyone else not fond of:

a)mutil- colored writing in posts
    b) HaCkEr TyPiNg

And believe me GK Man, just cuz something is cool when you're bombed doesn't mean its cool when you're not.

Just keep that in mind:D
  10. Blackened

Dec 5, 2002
    If u want to be a good musician u must learn to tune it by yourself, or when u r playing in a gig you will pull out a tuner in the middle of it??, come on, when u r starting its ok but ask a friend to help ya or try to do it by yourself, the best ways are learning the tones (needs a lot of time), tuning with a song, thats easy u tune one string and then with that one u tune the others (using the 5th fret or armonics) and the other and best one us the telephone, yeah that crap u've got at home and u thought its only for making calls, well give it other use, at least in my country the tone when u pick it up it is a G, so tune your first string with that and then tune the other strings!, dont buy a tuner u will depend of it and never develop your ear.
  11. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    there is a *free* tuner on activebass.com. but you can't take it to gIgS.
  12. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    There is an online tuner at Fender Player's Club. Just click the Tune Guitar link on the main page.
    Otherwise get a tuner. Korg sells one that plays a tone so you can tune by ear (a good idea, helps to train your ear) plus provides a view meter so you can see if you are in tune or not.

13. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    for my money, the tuner is one of the best advancements for bass playing since i started in '73--used to have a vox essex bass amp that had an electronic tuning pitch at g that was activated by a switch. You'd use harmonics from there. Then there were the stobe-type tuners. in the old days, the way you learned a song was to try to get yourself in tune with your record player! Ha!
  14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yep - that looks out of tune to me!! ;)
  15. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It's funny because it's true.

When I worked in a guitar store, (a long time ago in a galzxy far, far away) it was amazingly common to have people walk in with guitars to have tuned.

The first time it happened to me:

Customer: "I'd like to have this guitar tuned up."

Me: "OK. We do offer set up services. I can have it by . . . "

Customer: "You guys normally do it while I wait"

Me: "Well, it is kind of busy. If you leave it, I'll try to get to it today."

Customer: "It usually only takes a minute or two."

A very puzzled me: "OK?"

I remove the guitar, strum a chord. It sounds like cheese. I tune the guitar. Strum another few chords.

Me: "This plays OK. What sort of set up did you have in mind?"

Customer: "That's it. I just needed a tune up. Thanks."

Replaces guitar in case and off she goes.

Funniest thing was it was a D-28.
  16. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    A friend of mine, the first time he broke a string, took the guitar back to the shop and said "It's broken! Fix it".

Of course this was 35-some years ago and he's now a very good guitarist. :)
  17. When my bass goes outta tune, I just buy a new one.
  18. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Well, since we all look up to you-know-who and get a new bass when the strings get too old, it's a pretty small step to "replace when out of tune".

Just watch out for kids, they like to twist tuners. My friends brought theirs over the other day, and the damn kids cost me $5000! :mad:
  19. how the hell do u afford it u rich???? i realy wanna warwick thumb and that will take me bout 2 years to save up 4 dat
  20. no im not rich just really st000piddd yo!