1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuning

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tgriley62, May 18, 2011.

1. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    As a newbie I need some advice please. I can't seem to get my Peavey Millenium BXP in tune. I use a electronic tuner and it seem the stings are just a shade flat or sharp all the time, even with new stings. My question is if I can't get a perfect tune is it better to be a little on the flat or sharp side

Thanks

2. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    If they're new strings, they're going to be more likely to do that until they wear in a bit.
    Have you ever had the bass set up properly to fit what strings you use and your playing style, etc? That should help a lot. It's better to be in tune than b or #.

3. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Let's start at the beginning....

New strings will "stretch out" for a few days, meaning after you get them into tune and play them for a while, you'll probably have to slightly re-tune them. After a few days the strings should have stretched and stabilized enough that your instrument should hold tune.

When tuning, make sure you turn the tuning knob so that the string goes flat, then slowly bring it up to tune. If you miss your mark, repeat the above procedure. It's best to tune your string "up" to the note... not "down" to the note.

When you get your strings in tune, play each note at the 12th fret and see what your tuner says. If the note isn't really, really close, your intonation is probably off, which is another exercise to go through.

Try the above tuning method and let us know how it went :bassist:

4. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out....

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    so how much different would a set up for a bass with Ernie Ball strings be than one with Rotosound? Is it the string brand, or string gauge that the specific set up is done for?

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    The short answer is that it's set up for gauge - brand doesn't mean too much.

The longer answer is that it's set up for your playing style and the string's tension. String tension is related to its gauge, but various string construction methods can lead to varying tension and flexibility throughout different brands that produce the same gauge of strings. So even switching between the two brands will require some check in intonation.

6. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out....

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    hmm...interesting to know.

7. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    Thanks. Intonation is the next thing I plan on learning to do

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

First, make sure you've installed them properly.

Second, start below pitch and tune UP to pitch. Tuning down invites the string to slip.

Third, new strings won't hold accurate pitch very long. Live with it.

Fourth, don't worry about it. Unless you hear a problem, there is no problem. Tuners show tuning errors the human ear can't detect - so that amount of error does NOT matter.

Tune it and play it. If it sounds good, it is good.