Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tuning

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sk8boarder317, Mar 31, 2003.

1. sk8boarder317

sk8boarder317 Guest

Mar 5, 2003
    Madison, WI
    yes i know how to just tune..but i dont think my tuner can tune to notes such as c or f...i have a guitar/bass tuner and bassically you just select the string...it may be a bad tuner (prolly is ) but i got it for free ...but let me know if theres ne thing i can do with my tuner to get c or f or do i just need to buy a better tuner

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If I understand correctly, you're trying to tune an open string to a C note?

Try tricking your tuner. Tune to the D note on the second fret. The tuner should be able to recognise a D because it's a note on a standard tuned bass.

Or upgrade to a chromatic tuner than can recognise all notes. The tuner on my Zoom multi effects is chromatic.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Would you mind telling us why you need to tune to C or F? Do you have a 7 string? are you doing drop d tuning?

If you're doing drop d, you could always put a capo at the second fret, tune to D and G and then remove the capo. Then, fine tune with the harmonics. 4th fret on the C string should be an E and on the F string an A.

That's the best I think you can do with your cheapo. I suggest you get a chromatic tuner like a TU-12.

Help us out.

4. sk8boarder317

sk8boarder317 Guest

Mar 5, 2003
    Madison, WI
    i just have a regular 4 string...but bands such as mudvayne and cold have tunings that involve c and f and i jsut wanted to see if i liked tuning it like that..i guess ill just go get a chromatic tuner..more money spent:bawl:

5. I got my chromatic korg for $20

6. Toony

Toony

Jun 15, 2001
    Texas
    You can get a Korg CA-30 Chromatic tuner for around $14-$20....really great tuner for a cheaper, portable solution. Really precise, and can tune to anything.

Hope that helps.

7. I think I've got the worst tuner on earth: A Seiko guitar tuner. It doesn't even "read" bass tuning, I have to tune with the harmonics at the 12th fret... :bawl: