Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mr.QuakQuak, Feb 16, 2004.

1. I was thinking of sometime moving to a six string, but never really saw the need for the low B for myself. The other problem is I have pretty small fingers, especially my pinky.

My question : What would the pros and cons be of tuning a five string EADGC vs EADGB ? (high B and high C)
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    If you have a background playing guitar, EADGB would allow you to play certain guitaristic chord shapes. The downside would be that you wouldn't have that nice fretboard symmetry that tuning in fourths (EADGC) would give you. I'd think the latter would make more sense.

Tim Bogert plays a 6 and he tunes the first string to B because his lowest string is a B also. I don't see a big advantage otherwise.
  3. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    well tuning to high B would throw off convinient scale patterns and such, but I believe it opens up the door for bar chords if that's what you want.
  4. Thank you all for the healp. I'd much rather have eadgc then.
  5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I tune my 6 BEADGB also. It just feels better to me. It's nice having the major 3rd interval for some things, e.g., harmonics. Also, the notes are in the same places on the high string as on the low string, which may help the old memory. The odd interval is no big deal, you just learn it. Guitarists have done it for centuries. Of course, maybe that's why I like it: I started on guitar.