Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tunings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fleabass89, Feb 27, 2001.

1. E - A - D - G

324 vote(s)
    47.6%
  2. D - A - D - G

42 vote(s)
    6.2%
  3. C - G - C - F

17 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. B - E - A - D

18 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. Eb - Ab - Db - Gb

26 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. B - E - A - D - G

150 vote(s)
    22.1%
  7. A - E - A - D - G

6 vote(s)
    0.9%
  8. B - E - A - D - G - C

33 vote(s)
    4.9%
  9. F# - B - E - A - D - G - C

4 vote(s)
    0.6%
  10. Other (Specify)

60 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. I usually keep mine at the old fashioned tuning EADG, but sometimes I use drop D or drop C. I'm sure there are some funky tunings out there, let's hear about 'em!

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well, I've always played EADG, and will probably stick with it, at least on my "main" bass, but DADG and BEAD are certainly attractive, since we play in D a lot. Of course, BEADG might be good too, but none of my basses have enough strings for that. :D

3. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    1/2 step down with an occassional drop D flat. I used to play in a band that tuned down one whole step and then did a drop C. Very rarely use standard tuning.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Standard tuning 98% of the time. I use a Hipshot D-Tuner for tuning the E down various steps, depending on the song and the sound desired.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    For every one that ocassionally tune down, why not try a 5? You don't have to fiddle w/a HipShot or tune up or down, the low D is always there, along with a low B, C, D flat, & E flat. :)

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

A low F sharp? It's physically impossible to get such a low frequency note with definition and punch in a 34' scale instrument. You should get a twice longer neck (at least) for nailing this sound. As far as i know, 7 string basses have a high F.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    @ Nino, I'd go multi any sec - you give me the cash needed ;)

Your 'tip' is quite 'redundant'
    Don't you think we haven't given this a tought?
    But I'm only gonna buy a good 5 or 6 - heck my 4-string sounds better tuned down to B than most low and midrange 5ers.....

8. EADG, with a Hipshot for DADG tuning.

as for five strings, I still haven't found a 34in scale 5 where the low D on the B string sounds as clear as a D tuned E string, and playing RATM's Killing in the name is a bit of a stretch on a 5, so 35in scale is out of the question too.

9. BEADG here...

"and playing RATM's Killing in the name is a bit of a stretch on a 5" -TMTR

I´ve done that many times on mine! it is much harder than playing it on a 4... but a good exercise though. ;)

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

John, where are you, Alvaro is looking for you!
    :D

Alvaro, there are people with 34" scale necks who tune their low strings to F#.

It's all in the construction of the bass and the size of the F# string.

11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    EADG for me also,and on some songs I'll tune E to D.Used to play a 5 string(MIA Jazz),found the B too floppy so I tuned it to D,so it was DEADG.Didnt play any songs with a low B or C,so it worked well tuned like that,but Ive got small hands so I went back to a 4 string.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    "physically impossible" :rolleyes:. i beg to differ. i've been stringing my 34" scale length 7 string neck through fretted F#-B-E-A-D-G-C that way for over 3 years. as for high F, yeah most 7 stringers use that, but i've been playing with a high E since 1993 (tuned B-E-A-D-G-B-E).

as for the scale length, that as so little to do with the performance of the low F# so as to be irrelevant in light of other factors. my 35" scale 8 string with the low F# performs just as well as my 34" scale 7 strings with the low F#. i've played 36" scale basses that didn't have as good a response down that low too.

the biggest limiting factor to low frequency performance is the quality and rigidity of the neck, and even frequency response on pickups. a good onboard preamp will help too.

another limiting factor is that most bass rigs don't do squat for anything below a low B - shoot, most bass rigs have a pretty severe cutoff around 100 Hz, including those big ampeg cabinets - gives the "tight" sound to bass response.

i use pa subs along with 4x12" cabs for my bass, to get the low F#. sounds great. the only "bass" rig that does the low F# justice that i've played, and i've played many many rigs, is the bag end ELF setup. then again, my subs cost <US$350 a piece, and the bag end costs about 4x that much.

i would've selected that choice, but really my main tuning is B-E-A-D-G-B-E. thanks to fleabass89 for including it, anyway.

btw, the mp3 that is linked in my sig was played on my bass that's tuned F#-B-E-A-D-G-C.

13. I have to tune down a semi tone with the covers band as the guitarist/vocalist will not be persuaded to use normal tuning. One of the reasons I don’t use my 5 string Ray very often.
    I would prefer to use normal tuning, as I do with the original material band.

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Back when I had two instruments, I tuned one in fifths, cello-style CGDA. Worked pretty well for most things. The only thing I had trouble with was tapping.

15. Mostly EADG, occasionally DADG, rarely BEAD.

FF

16. I normally use just the E-A-D-G, but would take a four string bass with a Detuner on it. I do use a five string tuned B-E-A-D-G, but not as much as my four.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I wouldn't tune my bass differently in a situation like this. I would just transpose everything I was playing - just as if my current band transposes any song I wouldn't change tuning. One song we do has been transposed up a fourth, but there's no way I would change my tuning.

Similarly if we transposed songs down a semi-tone, I would just transpose what I was playing, not tune my strings any differently. So I would just think of what I would play "normally" and then shift it all down one fret - what's the problem?

That's what 5-strings are for isn't it - so you can play low Eb! ;)

18. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I've got to say I agree with Bruce - since I play originals, I don't need to play anything lower than a bottom E if I don't want to. There are times when a low D or C would come in handy, but I suppose I could always get a hipshot if I needed that. Or a five string, of course...

19. - the only problem with that is if the bassline requires an open string as a drone, eg. "Longview" by Green Day or "Love Will tear Us Apart" by Joy Division......I suppose unless you've got a huge finger span...or you could use a capo.......:D

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well my view would be that either you're playing covers "exactly" in which case you stick to the original key. Or if you aren't - then I would just modify my bassline to something that fitted in with the song. I think it's always good practice to try to find different ways of playing lines and of transposing without re-tuning or using a capo - this seems like the ultimate cheat to me! In a lot of the Jazz workshops I do, we will take a song and then the tutor will say - right let's play it in a different key and eventually we might get round to playing the song in every key.