tunning a sterling into stringRay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sam0329, Dec 5, 2002.

1. hi,
    I just wondering is it possible to tune my Sterling to make it sounds like a StringRay in order to play the song "Aeroplane"... thanks!
  2. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    If this is a Mod or something, stop you're killing me.

I've always wanted to play like Frea, myself (check the profile).
  3. So you want to modify an already good bass to play one song? Sounds good to me:D
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I doubt that changing the tone of the bass is gonna give you the musicial ability to play a song. :D

I've always found that Rays & Sterlings had similar sounds (not the same) but you shoud sound close to the Ray Flea is playing, now all you need is the same amp, same eq settings on the amp, smae eq settings on the bass, same studio engenieer to record you, etc & you might sound close to Flea. :)
  5. first of all, how sure are you that he even recorded that with a stingray?
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Flea himself doesn't remember clearly:

Also remember that they do lots of things to a bass track in the studio, so even with a Ray you might not get that sound.
  7. thanks guys, haha but I just want to make it sounds like it... I cant believe you guys are so helpful, so what about to use the switch and adjust the EQ? can I make it close?
  8. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Put your 3 way switch all the way down. That is the same position the Ray pu is in all the time. It takes a hell of a lot more than a single bass to capture a studio quality tone.
  9. does Flea ever play the Aeroplane song in live?
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm sure he has at least once or twice.
  11. i have a recording of aeroplane live if you guys want it
  12. yeah I WANT it... can you send it to me = )
    is it audio or Video?
  13. its audio but its got a nice Intro by flea right before the song starts :)

At the end they start talking about surfing for some reason and start playing some surfing song lol.
  14. do you mind to send it to me plz = )
  15. I am pretty sure he used the alembic for that particular recording.

I could easily be wrong though

(thats just my opinion from listening)

actually on second listen the sound is ray-ish.. now i have myself confused:p
  16. haha.. actually I dont really care which bass Flea use for recording, but the way he plays the StingRay is what I really like, I get the Sterling because I think I should be able to get more option on the sounds, but I really like the sound from the StringRay so that I wonder if I can adjust the EQ to make my Sterling get the StringRay sound