Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tunning e string to c

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bigwig, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    i decided to learn a song...take it away by the used, but i realized on most of the tabs (the well rated ones) it says he tunes his bass down to cadg..
    now unless im completly wrong..that means he tunes down 2 full steps...(4 frets)
    how is that strong not literally falling off??
    and would i just simply need to play all the notes on that string 4 frets lower than the tab says..

and why would anyone want to tune that low...while keeping his other 3 strings standard tunning?

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Could be using a heavier string? For example, a .120 tuned to C will have a fairly similar tension to a .100 tuned to E

No, play as normal. TAB just indicates position.

No idea. I'm not familiar with the player or the song.

3. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    thanks alot...i never thought of the thicker strings.

but on a tab ... if the tab says C ---4--- id play a 0 on an E tuned string..correct?

4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    If it says 4 on the tab, you play the fourth fret, regardless of the tuning.

Edit: Ignore this post. I misread your question. Wulf's answer below is correct.

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Nope - the original suggestion was correct. Playing four frets up from a C gives an E. Tab ushers you to the note by a combination of the tuning of the string and the number of frets above it.

If you were playing this song tuned CADG and then wanted to play another tune that was written:

Code:
    A:---7---7---
    E:-0---0---3-
    you would adapt it by simple maths (+4 to each note on the E string):

Code:
    A:---7---7---
    C:-4---4---7-
    Wulf

6. If you got a 5 just tune up a half step. They sound pretty good that way anyway.