1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tunning peg slipping . . .

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bertramkevin, Aug 16, 2007.

1. bertramkevin

bertramkevin

Aug 16, 2007
    Montreal
    hey i just taught a lesson with a student and i noticed that one of his strings was strung backwards.
    so i offered to quickly switch it, to ease the tuning process (he's a beginner)
    and as i tunned it back up, the peg wouldn't turn tight enough to even get it within an octave. it's like it's slipping or something . . .
    i tried tightening the screw and the nut on the peg, but i'm confused because i've strung my bass hundreds of times with no problems like this.
    any suggestions, i would really like to fix my students bass as i am a dedicated teacher . . .

kevin

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    what kind of tuner?

did the student lube the snot out of it?

all the best,

R

3. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Maybe there was a reason it was strung backwards? It sounds like the gears are worn heavily on one side. This would explain why you can still tune it if it's strung backwards.

4. bertramkevin

bertramkevin

Aug 16, 2007
    Montreal
    it seems to be in good working order
    is there something i can do if it is too lubed up?
    thanks

kevin

5. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Over lubed? Try naptha (zippo lighter fluid). It will remove any grease on the gears.

6. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    one other thought ...

if this is an open tuner like on most Fenders and Rickies, it may be that either the tensioning washer is missing and the screw is bottomed out or that the screw came out and was lost and the replacement is a little too long.

I'd look for the washer first

and it's hard to image a work gear wearing out - there are many, many basses from the 50's & 60's still tuning just fine on their original tuners

all the best,

R

7. FF Petro

FF Petro

Feb 16, 2004
    ATL
    Can you see where it is slipping? Or maybe have a picture?

8. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Maybe it's made from an inferior Made In China metal that doesn't wear like 50's steel? I dunno, that's what I was thinking. The washer is a great idea, I never even thought of that.