tunning question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by OBToxic, Sep 1, 2001.

1. OBToxic

Sep 1, 2001
    miami FL
    how could i get the tunning
    B <-- top string
  2. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I would think you could use the 4 heavy strings of a 5 string set.

B fine as is
    E tune up to F#
    A tune up to B
    D tune up to E

Gonna put some serious tension on your neck however.

Why do you want to tune this way? :confused:
  3. OBToxic

Sep 1, 2001
    miami FL
    that didn`t help, supposibly slipknot has that tunning but they don`t but i would like to drop my bass to that tunning
  4. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    OK, how about this.

B string tuned to B
    A string tuned down to F#
    D string tuned down to B
    G string tuned down to E

Gonna be floppy as hell.

Why don't you just tune standard and learn to play bass like most everybody else?

5. slipknot uses B E A D , so ditch the 4-string geezer and get a 5-string'er , like the real men do ! :D

most 4-string basses sound like poo when tuned in B, because the pickups aren't designed for that low freq's..
  6. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    yeah mon, dont mess with the detuning crap unless youre like me and you cant afford a 5 string. Then you can tune to CGCF and get custom gauge strings that go 60 80 95 125. :cool:

just kidding, pacman and all you old school guys. I use standard tuning. ...But that would be nice to have heavy strings so I could detune like that... :D
  7. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Oh and If you really want that BEAD tuning, get yourself some heavier strings. The general rule of thumb is to add 5 for each half step detuned. So just take your favorite string gauges and do the math.

For example, my favorite string gauge for standard tuning is 50 70 85 105, (I use a pick with heavy attack) so for BEAD tuning you add 25 to each string since its 5 half steps detuned. still with me? oh well. anyway, your string gauges (if you were me) detuned to BEAD would come out as 75 95 110 130.

Your personal favorite string gauge (whatever youre using now) is probably 45-105 or 45-100 right now, so just add 25 to each string and you should be good to go.

If you dont want to spend money on buying custom gauge strings in bulk, just buy a 5 string set and ditch the G string and use the 4 heavy ones.

Just remember: Once you join the dark side, there is no going back. :p