1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Turbosound Milan MI5 vs Yamaha DXR15 vs FBT Promaxx 14a?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by dickiefunk, Jun 29, 2012.

1. dickiefunk

dickiefunk

Jun 29, 2012
    Hi,

I'm currently looking to upgrade my current pair of JBL EON 15G2's to use with live bands. I would like to be able to put a reasonable amount of kick, bass, 4x vocals, keys and guitar. I would also like to add trumpet and sax on occasions.

I have been doing this quite successfully with my EON15G2's for a few years but would like more power, clarity and bass without having to use subs (if possible). The maximum weight I want to be carrying is around 20-22kg.

I have tried the new JBL EON 515XT's but found that these didn't have as much bass extension as the older EON 15G2's (though on paper the are quoted to be the same). They also didn't cope as well at higher volumes of bass and suffered from a little port noise.

I've been doing quite a bit of research and have shortlisted the following within my rough budget £1500 :-

Turbosound Milan MI5
    Yamaha DXR15
    FBT Promaxx 14a

Has anyone on here had any experience with any of the speakers mentioned?

Which would you recommend for using with full bands in rooms holding around 250 people with kick and bass going through them and reasonably high volumes 130db+?

Thanks

2. I know none of those products, but I did mix a show on a Turbosound TCS rig a couple weeks back and thought it sounded quite nice.

I was running 12" tops on single 18 subs with my DSP and amp racks. Really pretty sounding, maybe a little too pretty for a loud rock show, but very nice. Doing folk music in a church they were about perfect.

3. dickiefunk

dickiefunk

Jun 29, 2012
    Thanks for the reply.

I've been doing quite a bit of research and found some more info and a shootout between FBT 14a, RCF 725a, JBL EON 515XT, EV ZXA5 and DB Technologies 605D amongst others!

The FBT's same out favorably!

Also, there's a video shootout between the FBT's along with the Turbosound MI5's and RCF 725's here :-

Whilst not a very accurate test it sounded like the FBT's were clearer and with more bass extension and thump!?