Turn a Fender Jazz Elite into a 24 fret?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dan Bass Slapper, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Hey all, thinking about taking the plunge into high class Fender-dom. I always avoided Fender because it all felt too standard, but in my more adult years I'm beginning to understand the value of the J bass sound and I'm exploring picking up an Elite.

My problem is the number of frets, I sweep and tap a lot on bass and utilize frets 21 - 24 pretty often, not sure I could sacrifice that range. I'n sure there are options to either replace or extend the neck, but not sure where to start. What do you think is the best option to customize a Fender Jazz Elite to get 24 frets?

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Warmoth sells replacement necks that can be had with 20, 21, or 24 frets. 21 and 24 fret necks have an extension that hangs over the body and I suppose that requires the neck to be removed for truss rod adjustments.
    They are not a budget neck, you pay for that Warmoth quality. It also costs no more to have exactly what you want built than it does to buy a comparable neck in stock. The same goes for their bodies. Buying in stock is faster, but not cheaper.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  3. Thanks, I took a look and don't see anything standard in stock in their shop. I contacted them, but curious to hear other ways to accomplish this if any.

4. 62104916-6D86-4DC9-BF3D-488CAEAF1C9A.jpeg 35B59A8A-BA51-4607-A8A2-204857500D41.jpeg The fretboard extension on the Warmoth 24 fret neck seems like a lot of wood without a lot of support. However, I’ve never worked with one. Just going by videos I’ve seen. Also, the neck heel is in the same place on the body so those extra frets are over the body and tough to reach with your left hand.

I think Fender made a version or two of a 24 fret jazz bass. Might be something to look into.

5. Yeaa the Fender 24 is a lower model though and discontinued. Was looking to convert their top tier model

6. Got it. Take a look at the pictures and try to visualize where the extra frets will be positioned on the body. It might work for your playing style or might not.

7. Yea hard to visualize, I could see it being hard to reach. I appreciate the pictures

8. 1F1606C8-C3A6-42E4-8667-B55D03A324C5.jpeg

I think this is the Warmoth neck. Not sure if it’s a standard Jazz body or not.

Actually, I think it might be photoshop so take it with a grain of salt.

Dan Bass Slapper likes this.
  9. Seems very tough to reach either way. Thank you!

10. I wouldn't worry about how long that extension is without support. It would take a whole lot of force to bend that wood to the point of being problematic, fretting shouldn't be an issue. I do agree with them being hard to reach though.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021