Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Turn a geddy Jazz into a P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Aug 8, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Now that I have played bass for awhile (about 18months) I have come to realize I am a P-Bass guy. I just want one tone which is a deep thump. I am not interested in the other tones “out there” or versatility.

My first and only bass is a fender geddy lee jazz with a Moses graphite neck. I already have the pickups wired in series.

Okay here is my idea.

Buy one of those SX P-Basses for about $100. Put my Moses graphite neck on it.

Trade someone my geddy jazz pickups (they are genuine fender MIA right?) for some fender precision bass pickups.

Put the fender pickups into the SX body.

Sell the neck from the SX.

Sell the geddy lee body.

Thus I have a decent quality P-Bass without putting out much, if any, money of my own. I have a very limited budget. Especially since spending all my money on my amp & cabs.

Questions:

• Is the SX body going to be way lower quality (in terms of wood choice, fit & finish etc) than the geddy body? Or would the body quality be similar?
    • Does the SX body mate well with Fender neck dimensions (the moses fits my jazz very well)?
    • In terms of re-sale value for the SX neck, what would sell for more, a fretless neck or a fretted one? Since I can buy a bass with either neck I want to, of course, buy the one which will allow me to make the most profit.
    • Are there any reasons I shouldn’t go thru with this?

2. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I think you should just sell your bass and get a Pbass!

3. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I think you would be ruining a perfectly awesome bass.... Have you ever thought of buying some P-bass pickups. And then having a luthier route the body and wire em in..
    More expensive.. but your Geddy would be in one piece. Probably be able to sell it for more like that too.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    BTW, I would swap the bridges and put the BadassII onto the SX.

5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have already modded the geddy with the moses neck. Sold the original one. Plus the geddy body has a significant paint chip out of it on the back. This will hurt the resale value if I tried to just sell geddy as a complete bass.

I really like the graphite neck and want to keep it to put on whatever bass I may own.

At this time I really cant afford to own two basses.

6. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Good call metalguy2.

7. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    EDIT: oops, somebody already said this, just in about 100 less words :meh:

Hi,

for my 2cents, i used to have a mexican p special (the current one with the jazz neck and the bridge pkup too)

the p j configuration works well in my opinion, some don't like it though.

i would look at getting a nice p pickup, seymore duncan attiquity, nordstrand etc, although your on a tight budget, and getting it put in your geddy. get a pickguard from warmoth for a jazz bass with a p pickup cut out

you might not like that look on a jazz bass body though. i like it on the sadowsky, pjs though, and the new cheap reggie hamilton signature fender.

rock on.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I guess I would have to place the p pups above the jazz neck pup. Or just take out the jazz neck pup and then buy a new p/j pickguard as suggested. The thing is a new p/g is going to cost $20 while a used set of p pups will be around $30-50. I can buy the whole SX bass for about $30-40 more than this. Keep in mind the SX body and geddy body are really the only sticking points as eventually everything will be upgraded and it will already have the excellent moses graphite neck on it. I dont know....

[​IMG]

9. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Just sell the Geddy Lee - lots of people want one - and get a P bass.

10. +1 don't ruin it. even if it has a chip in the body and no neck, you shouldn't rip it apart. just get as much as you can for it and get a mim p-bass, and put your graphite neck on it.

11. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    I'll buy your Geddy- :D

12. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
  13. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I must agree with several others here. You have a damn good bass there. However if it’s not yr bag, never mind the mods (you said yrself you don't care for versatility, just good meat and potatoes P-thump) just sell the Geddy and get what you really want. Plenty of players out there would love that Geddy axe, why make a fuss?

If a MIA Series P bass is a bit beyond you financially, there's always US Highway 1 or a MIM. There must be a gazillion used Ps out there for sale, at least one must have yr name written all over it. Carving up that Geddy and/or creating some sort of Frankenstein Ged/SX P bass is soooooo not worth it.

Good luck,
    r

14. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    a+

if you sell the geddy, you can put a nice chunk down on an mia p-bass or get a fender mim p-bass outright.

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Just sell the Geddy and buy a P. No need to make things so complicated. I know there are SX fans here, but they are pretty much $100 basses, most of which weight a ton, and some of which are pure crap.

16. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Well the SX idea is out. The neck pocket will not fit a fender/moses neck.

I think what I may do is swap someone their p-bass body with my geddy jazz body.

I just cant afford to buy a bass right now. Even if it is a MIM.

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Did you miss the "SELL THE GEDDY" part? You can get somewhere in the area of $500 for the bass. You could buy a new MIM P and have change left over for that.

18. Take it to your local music shop. I'm sure they'll give you enough for a MIM P-Bass.

19. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    You think I could get $500 for a geddy body? Remember I am keeping the moses graphite neck and I sold the original neck along time ago.

How much could I get for just the body?

20. Dont know why you messed up the Geddy. Doubt you will get 100 bucks for it. Should have kept the Geddy whole and sold it to buy a real P-bass to get the real P-bass sound. Seems you went to extremes and now you dont have much to work with. :confused: