Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Turn a walkman into a headphone amp.. no really, its true.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jun 14, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
  2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Yep, it works. It's even easier with a portable MiniDisc recorder that has a line in.

Just grab a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter at Radio Shack, and plug your bass into the input. Press Rec or Rec/Pause, and listen through your headphones.

3. audiotom

audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    why not get something useful

the Tascam Bass trainer MK II module that will not only function as a headphone amp, you can plug in, play along with a cd and even slow or speed up the song without changing the pitch for transcriping or playing along at slower speeds.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I just thought it was a neat idea. If you cant afford an amp, for whatever reason, you can jimmy an old walkman.

5. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I had a great idea to use walkmans/portable radios as a distribution amp for headphone practices or recording. You can buy a cheap fm modulator at radio for like $20 then route the output of the mixer/interface to the modulator and have everybody bring their walkmans and tune in to the frequency. Its not exactly hifi, but it is good enough for a monitor playback. You can take this a step further and have everybody use wireless systems for the instruments. If you have ever tried your hand at home recording you have probably run into headphone distribution problems. This is a pretty simple solution that also keeps the room clean :D

-Bryan

6. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Cassette adapters can be had for very little cost. They look like a cassette shell, but have an 1/8" plug for connecting the output of a portable CD to a tape car player. They actually come free with most portable CD players. I must have 5 of them.

With a simple radio shack adapter, you can connect the stereo 1/8" to a mono 1/4", and never touch the inside of your player, or a soldering iron.

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Would this work for CD players too?

8. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    The Tascam Bass Trainer w/o an adapter at $149 is a rip off, And its output is weak. I took mine back the next day.

9. Malodorous

Malodorous

May 19, 2005
    Illinois
    I play through my walkman doing just that, but there is a lot of hiss from the cassette adapter.