Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

turn an eden into an svt?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mw, Nov 1, 2002.

1. mw

mw

Jul 24, 2000
    Cali
    hello.

ooooh. my first post! not my last tho.

i was wondering if anyone could offer suggestions to get an ampeg-ish sound out of an eden highwayman? i'm especially interested in the ultra low and ultra high switches on the SVTIII. the tone controls on the eden are a bit confusing, or at the very least require an learning curve.

i have an SVTIII that i could use a preamp, but i really do not want to have to lug both of those monsters around at the same time, not to mention a change of patch cables when an 'eden' sound is desired.

thanks!

2. Sell the Eden....

What do you think, Munji?

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Both the Eden's and the Ampegs are great amps IMHO. But, they definitely have their own kind of sound.
    If you prefer the Ampeg sound, you might just want to get an Ampeg. I really don't think you can make one sound like the other.
    What do you guys think?

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    As you might expect, I'm 1,000 percent with you on this one, sobie.

Ampeg ... sheesh!

5. jtd125

jtd125

Mar 16, 2002
    Agoura Hillis, CA
    Magic

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Totally different creatures.

I suggest you give me the Eden since you seem to desire that SVT tone so much.

Peace
    Nick

7. mw

mw

Jul 24, 2000
    Cali
    well...

I was more curious about what tone adjustments would be recommended to simulate the ultra low and high switches from the svt. I am most likely NOT keeping the SVT (want another bass... my profile shoud say what i an looking for). i really like the eden, I'm just not used to it yet (different eq type), and was hoping someone out there to give some starting points... aside from flat settings (for example, what exactly is the enhance knob doing when i turn it? please let there be some serious responses... :( )

i still like the ampeg for pick driven rock, but the eden for everything else; that and i have an 8-ohm cab and i get WAY more power out of the WT-500.

if anyone else out there is wondering about a pseudo-answer to my question, i found some previous threads. they will probably answer more than this one has so far:

WT-800 or SVT 4 Pro

WT400 tone

anyway, thanks for the replies. it is appreciated. :)

8. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    MW...

Like in one of the previous posts, try the Sansamp. IMHO that or a Bass Pod is the closest you're gonna to an ampeg with an eden.

9. http://www.eden-electronics.com/images/WT500lar.jpg
    What I think you want is for someone to help you with the operation of the parametric EQ on the Eden. I've not had any experience with that particular amp but I've used this type of Eq alot. It looks to me like you have a 3 band that lets you choose a bass , mid, and high frequency to boost or cut. I really don't know if it will let you choose the width of the band or not. But it should let you choose a high band and a low band that corrispond with the Ampeg EQ. There are however other things beside EQ that give an amp its' characteristic sounds. Line6 makes 2 bass pods ( the kidney and the rack) that have a SVT setting on them. With a lot of listening and tweaking you might get the sound your after using your onboard EQ and the POD.