Turn Arounds

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Dec 26, 2005.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I was wondering if anyone knew any resources out there that could help breath some inspiration into turn arounds. I've been trying to find more interesting ways to play them, and always end up doing the same handful of runs. I've always thought of turn arounds as one of the opportunities to do some interesting things, either melodically, harmonically, or rythmically.
  2. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    You may want to check out "Turnarounds. Cycles & ii/V7's" book + CDs by Jamey Aebersold. Lotsa tips and substitutes and progressions to listen to and play against.

In the music minus one tradition you can lose the bass in one channel leaving piano & drums. Nifty book with lots of ideas and scale info.

It's Volume 16 in his series. http://www.jazzbooks.com

No - I don't work for him
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Thanks Ryco. I was looking through my Jamey Aebersold catalog for that very book or something like it, but I got rushed and didn't find it. Another thing I would suggest to Liquid Midnight is if you are playing those turnarounds in a traditional blues context and not a jazz context, that you listen to some of the great blues bassists and figure out what they do.

I particularly admire Tommy Shannon's playing on Stevie Ray Vaughan CDs and Duck Dunn's playing on Blues Brother's CDs. Even Nathan East on some Eric Clapton CDs. Check out the bass lines on Gary Moore's CDs. BB King and Buddy Guy have excellent bassists too. By choosing a variety of bassists, you may be able to get some fresh ideas. It will take some work, concentration and lots of listening, but may give you a new spark.
  4. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Thank you both for the recommendations!!!