Turn it off... or not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Muttluk, Dec 11, 2000.

1. Ok, so i know there was a FAT discussion about this awhile back, and i know that with an all tube amp you put it on Bypass for breaks, and dont turn it on and off all the time, use bypass. I know that with solid state amps, you can turn it on and off and whatever. What about HYBRID amps? theres tubes in that, but theres also solid state in that, and theres no bypass, so what do you do? I'm specificly talking about the EDEN WT-800. Should i leave it on, and just drop main volume to 0 or do i shut it off, and then turn it back on?
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Just leave it on.

Oh, I forgot. CONGRATULATIONS! You now own my dream amp, you hoser.
  3. On your hybrid, leave it on during breaks. Preamp tubes are pretty rugged. They'll usually last for years.

On pure tube amps, I say you should only use the Standby switch on power up only. You should not flip your tube amp to Standby during breaks. You should either leave it full-on if you are going to use it again within the next few hours, or you should turn it full-off if you are not going to use it again in the next few hours.

My reasoning for this is that letting the tubes sit there with the cathodes hot-as-hell boiling off electrons, but not sucking the electrons away with the plate high voltage, will supposedly form a layer of hard-to-get-through material on the cathode. Cathode Poisoning.

Some people will probably disagree, but this is what I live by.

4. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Mut, the amp section of your hybrid is SS. So just leave it on. Yor preamp is a tube preamp and the tubes will be fine.