1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Turn my left handed tele into a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dwagner, Feb 13, 2013.

1. I would make a cardboard mockup of a 34" scale neck and position it on the body to see if you will have enough room. The bridge can go at the far end of the body, and the slab design of a tele makes that easy. You will probably have to enlarge the neck pocket for a bass neck anyway, so make sure the neck position will allow for a good neck pocket.

You could always build a short-scale bass and that would make things even easier.

Rick B.

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I don't think it's a good idea at all. I'd look for a used MIM Jazz or a Squier Precision Special instead. Or look at what's for sale on LeftyBassist.com. There's a lot of options out there; an Affinity Tele body is just about the last thing I'd use to make a bass with.

3. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    It is possible, but you would have to use a short scale neck, I belive.
    [​IMG]

4. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    More examples:
    Tele20001.
    realtelebass.

5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Now that does look cool.

6. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    Those do look cool. It seems like the neck pocket would be beyond pocket though, and pretty much just wide open on the cutaway side.

7. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    From this pic, it appears that you may be able to make it full scale. Look, necks are equally spaced from the base of the bodies, if you moved the bridge on the guitar body as low as it is on the bass, couldn't it work as full scale?

[​IMG]