Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TURN MY MIC UP!!!! NO!!! YES!!! ARGHHH!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by steveksux, Jun 16, 2005.

1. I was in a band, everyone had Shure SM58 mics, I had a Beyer ribbon mic. My mic had a lower output, so the gain had to be turned up higher to equalize the volume, PLUS I sing quiet, so it had to be boosted even more so I could compete with everyone else... Quiet stage volume, so feedback not an issue.

Guy running the board kept saying its turned up high enough, sing louder. I'm like, when I sing louder, I get hoarse, sore throat the next day. And I'll never sing as loud as X cause my voice is lower anyway, doesn't project that well.

Back and forth. No more point in arguing, ain't gonna get resolved.

So I came in early one day, my gain knob was on 5. I turned up the gain on my channel to 7 where I thought it should be, then pulled the knob off, lined knob up with the 5, put the knob back on.

Problem solved. Everybody's gain is on 5, my mic is finally loud enough. Cause it's really on 7, but it still says 5.

Call me "Mr. Sneaky Man", my mic channel is undercover. Top Secret. I could tell you what its set to, but I'd have to kill you. :D

Randy

2. haha thats awesome man, good job!

3. humbucker22

humbucker22

Jun 11, 2005
    naperviller
    good thinking man

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    lol

5. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    You're the man. Seacrest out!

6. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    haha
    +1

7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Lol, thats great...

I'm a sound guy and that would totally throw me off...I'd spend like the first 20 mintues of sound check being like werd (if I knew that they were normally different)

8. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Nice work... I'd be the stupid guy pointlessly arguing with the sound man...

9. LOL, yeah, it is pretty stealthy....

When he'd mention it, I told him I used to play trumpet (very dependent on using diaphram) and I finally figured out how to incorporate using my diaphram with my singing...

Then the clincher... "Yup, you were right, I just had to sing louder use my diaphram.... " :rollno: :D

Lesson# 2: You can absolutely lie your a$$ off shamelessly and people will believe you if your lie involves telling them they were right in the first place.

Now that you know that Jedi mind trick, re-examine your favorite politicians and tell me you're not disgusted... :spit:

Randy

10. What a jerk. Why wouldn't he turn your mic up? What sound guy expects the levels of the pots to be exactly the same for each vocalist?

11. Not a jerk, just not a soundman... Keyboard player that owned the pa.

Why should you turn up a backup singer's mike louder than the lead singer?

I think that was where he was coming from. Incorrect as it turns out, but not a wildly stupid position at all, common sense actually, for a layman, without the background of an electronics/sound tech guy.

Very much in the honest mistake category.

Randy

12. Funny stuff mate!

Our singer usually has last say in how loud the backing vocals are - and they're never loud enough in my opinion. Meh, what do I care, I'm not much of a singer anyway.... :ninja:

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    +1. Good work!

14. Sounds like a soundguy who mixes with his eyes, not his ears. Our church had one of them for a few years - he liked to have the faders equal on the board and make patterns with the EQ pots, not caring for how bad it sounded.

Hes gone now and the bass has returned to FOH! :hyper:

15. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Everyone's mic should have as much gain as possible, right below clipping. The faders should be used to control the volume, NOT the gain. I bet your PA system has some noise to it?