Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Turn-over rate

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Has anyone else noticed this about guitar stores? I have been keeping track at GC, and in the scant 4 months that I have been working there, 8 people have been fired and 12 have quit. Granted, 3 of those firings were for psycho people (one was cutting his arm during work) but even still, that's a lot!! And in the last 10 months, there have been a whopping 31 firings and nearly 40 quits. According to one of my Assistant Managers, the average work life of a GC employee is 3 months. Is this a common thing? Or, as our repair guy puts is, are we just a bunch of flakey musicians?:D

Rock on
    Eric

2. Such turnover is typical of any low-wage, low-skill job, especially at chain stores.

3. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    I worked at 2 music stores for 6 years combined between the 2 - and I lost count at over 150 people.

4. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    What about the turnover rate of employees transferring back and forth from the Guitar Center to In-N-Out Hamburger in Rancho Cucamonga,CA?

5. Sounds like the turnover rate at my theater. I can understand with all the crap we go through from coporate. Why do I stay there?

Seriously, why do I stay there? Someone tell me...

6. I worked at a music store once...

Yea, ill leave it at that :D

7. And that's what weirds me out. Yes, it may be low wage, but it isn't exactly low skill. You have to know a LOT about what you are talking about. I've had several customers come up and ask me questions that totally baffle me, and it makes them mad that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Plus, isn't it fun to work at a guitar store? I think so. I love my job. But everyone I work with seems to either hate it or be ambivilent towards it. You get to talk to interesting people, play with cool gear, and on rare occasions you get to meet famous people!! Yeah, the pay sucks, but you just have to stick it out for a while, then you can get enough seniority to get raises and such. It's what I'm about to do, now that we lost 2 people in the guitar and bass department. I'm gonna go sell basses!!:D

Which reminds me, if any TBer comes over to GC when I'm there, you can expect great treatment and a hell of a deal from me.:D

Rock on
    Eric

8. Where is the GC at which you work?

9. Clackamas, Oregon. Right off I-205, on 82nd Avenue. I can give directions, if you want, (I give out directions to our place about 10 times a day. You think the entire Portland Area would know where we are by now)

Rock on
    Eric

10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The turnover rate probably is not much different than at any McDonalds or Taco Bell. Many lower wage jobs attract transient people who work there until they can find something that pays a bit more or has better working hours and days and offers better benefits such as paid vacation, overtime, insurance and 401K plans.

Thus such jobs are used as stepping stones to better positions. Of course there are folks who can't get better jobs, but they have low loyalty to their employers, so they drift from minimum wage job to the next one depending on their mood and inclination. They leave whatever job they have if they don't like the boss, the hours, their duties, the travel to work, dress requirements or any other restraint upon their behavior.

In your case, Eric, you display an admirable loyalty and dedication to a job that attracts few like you. I certainly hope your boss will appreciate what you offer and make it worth your while to stay at Guitar Center.

11. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I wish I lived closer to my GC so I could work there. The only local places within short driving distance are either too small (where I get lessons and buy strings and such) or are run by A-holes (the larger of the two stores). **sigh** :(

12. cheeseman

cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That's funny because at the one closest to me (Corpus Christi, Texas), the same guys that are in there are the same guys that have been there since the place opened a few months ago. I've heard some talk about leaving but have yet to see it.

13. You and me both. $7.00 an hour really isn't that much. I want to move out soon, plus I'm paying for college. Even just $8.00 would help things greatly.

Rock on
    Eric

14. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Do you guys working at music stores get commissions?

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i think i'm gonna work at gc when i retire from the navy...

16. Not at GC. It's a bonus-based system. If the Accessories Department (that's me) makes $500,000 in sales in a month, there is a $100 bonus in our paycheck. If it's $510,000, there is a $200 bonus, and so on and so on. I have heard rumors of $1300 and $1400 bonuses during the Christmas Holidays.:eek::D

Rock on
    Eric

17. Eric,,I wish there were more people like you!:) Being in a GC for over a hour at one time would be enough for a lifetime for me... It's alway crazy loud and a total musical anarchy! You must have the patience of a saint....I will only go into a GC If my life depends on it,,,,,like If I need a pick or a guitar stand.....I have only bought one bass from a GC and that was back in 96.....
    Eric, is that guitar shop called The 12 Fret still there in Portland? I use to have repairs done there. I once lived not to far from there. If I'm ever back up that way I'll venture into the Clackamas GC,,,and I'll buy something I promise:D

Fetch!

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

As a musician, I love going to a GC, or any other local music store to browse and check gear out. But if I was there 8-12 hours a day, it would probably get old.

Like thinking working at a pizza parlor is going to get you free pizza, after a while you just want out.

Someone said once, maybe Zappa: "talking about music is like dancing about architecture".

I'd rather go to a GC, get my strings, or the gear I need and head out to play, instead of watching others go do it.

19. We don't have GC here, just Musicstop, which I think has 6 locations in Nova Scotia. Anyway, it seems that the people who work there are the same people who worked there six or seven years ago. I can only remember two new people starting there, and they're both still around.

20. Yep, 12th Fret is still there. But they are starting to lose business, because the guy who owns it is an arrogant SOB. If you go in and ask for HIM to do the repair, he tells you okay, then hands it off to an apprentice. The you get a guitar with a shoddy repair job. Barrett Coughlan is much better. Just moved in from Beaverton. Great guy, very friendly, and works fast, cheap and reliable.

Rock on
    Eric