Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

turn which way??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by andrewteo, Sep 15, 2004.

1. andrewteo

andrewteo

May 17, 2004
    with the bass body on the floor and p/us facin up to the sky.. do i turn the trustrod counter clock wise to add more bow so that i got more relief or do i turn it clock wise?? is it standard on all basses??

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Clockwise is tighter = more bow
    Counterclockwise is looser = less bow

It should be pretty easy to tell which is which when doing it. And just FYI, since it seems this may be your first time, dont turn it more than 1/4 turn either direction per every few days. If 1/4 turn doesnt do it for you, let it settle and do another 1/4 turn in a day or two.

3. No! Clockwise is tighter, but that results in LESS bow, i.e. the neck being flatter. Counterclockwise is looser, meaning the tension of the strings has less to counteract it, giving more bow to the neck.

Mike

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    My bad, I guess I was thinking if you put a rod into something like so:

|--------------| and tightening brings the ends closer together, then the neck will bow. Kinda like squeezing a toothpick or something between your fingers.

5. That's called back bow. not good.

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    All about truss rods.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Data/TrussRods/trussrods1.html

To answer the original question:

1) Turn counterclockwise (usually) to add bow. Righty tighty, lefty loosey. Loosening the truss rod adds bow.

2) It's not standard on all basses. Some are reverse-threaded.

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Thanks for the link, learn somethin new everyday hehe