Turner Ampli-Coustic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Surgeon, Apr 2, 2005.

1. While on vacation in SLC Utah I've been hitting all the music stores I can. Yesterday I had my first opportunity to play a Turner Renaissance bass. (Sorry to say that I'd never even heard of them before this.) It was a 5 string, fretless ampli-coustic. It felt/sounded great. Radical design compared to what I've seen before with a hollow body, hidden pick-up, surprisingly solid low-B, and extremely light weight.

Anyone else out there play one of these? I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Just one question for you folks as well. Without a thumb rest how do you anchor your thumb? Is there something you can mount on the bass or do you just let you hand float freely?

Thanks for any info.

2. These are truly fine basses, and exceptionally comfortable and pleasant to play due to the light weight and rubbery softness of the TI acouticore strings. I recently got a black Ren fretless 5, which replaces a freeted 4 I had for some years.

This one has a thumb rest glued above the strings. It also has the "dingus" accessory, which extends the strap button away from the body and makes it balance just right.

I played it a bit last week at an R&B gig at a local club, and the tone through the big system was huge and deep and really nice for ballads.

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I've played(never owned)some of Turner's basses, both electrics and acoustics and they are all special. If I didn't play UB he would be my choice for a "down-left" subsitute. His strait electric basses are really special also. It's hard to describe but they're super clean and playable with tons of character, maybe hi-fi with a vintage vibe?Not sure?. If I was in a financial position to fatten-up the quiver, he would be high on the list. Most of all he and his team are stand-up all the way and I've heard nothing but the best compliments on them!