1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Turner Electroline

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cheezewiz, Apr 13, 2006.

1. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Fellers..I have one of these on loan, and found out that this is definitely NOT a bass for stainless strings. What are you guys using on your piezo equipped electrolines? Any other comments on the virtues or vices of the bass?

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The Renaissance comes with Thomastik Infeld Acousticore strings. As far as the Electroline, I would recommend Nickel Plated strings to get rid of some of the harshness of the Piezo.

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I had one for a while.
    I used TI flats.
    DR Low Riders-nickel.
    Or Ken Smith Compressors.

4. Giraffe

Giraffe Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, California
    I've been using one for a while. Mine is fretted, and it reminds me why I always felt that frets need piezos like fish need bicycles. On those rare ocassions when I use the piezos at all, nickle coated strings like D'Addario XL's seem to take some of the quack away. I would consider trying some nylon tape wound strings if I ever found the time. Maybe flats. You should do some experimenting and share your results!

5. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    That's a nice loan! :cool:

I'm very happy with my Electroline fretless; I've only played a fretted briefly at a store.
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure what strings are on it...it's whatever Rick Turner put on it. TI Rounds maybe? Sorry. When I need new strings (won't be soon given how little I'm playing these days) I will either get the same set, or get some D'Addario Half-Rounds, to tame some sizzle, but retain that sweet growl. Depends on who I'm playing with.

You've probably already realized there can be a ton of treble, even though it's passive. I'd start with the tone knob all the way down, then dial up until you think it's good (maybe only a 1/3 turn or even less). That's the opposite of what I'd do if I were playing say a jazz. I tend to use a bit more if I'm favoring the neck pickup, a bit less if I'm toward the bridge (no surprise there). I tend to use about 1/2 piezo, but that could be different on a fretted I'd imagine.

It's really a sweet bass, but it took a little time to get a hang of the controls.

Marshall

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I took the ss strings off right before rehearsal last night, and put some DR low rider nickels on. MUCH better! It took away the hollowness and some of the twang of the piezo.

I'm really digging this bass so far. For the most part, I used just the magnetic pickups. For some things, I dialed in a bit of piezo, which seems to ad quite a bit of "air" in the high end, however, with the piezo tone on 20-30 percent or so, it really holds the "clack" down. On a few songs where I wanted a more upright type tone, I went to the piezo only, rolled the tone down to about 15-20 percent, and it sounded really good!

So far, I'm thinking this is a pretty impressive bass.

7. Giraffe

Giraffe Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, California
    Keeping the piezo volume and (especially) tone controls down is the best recipe I have found, too. The light weight and overall playability of the Electroline make it very attractive to me, but mine is the single pickup model, so anything that gives me options is important!

8. Mine is a 4 string piezo with 2 magnetics. According to Rick, the 4 strings are shipped with TI Power Brights. I don't know about the 5's. I recently bought a 5 string 17th Street / Carruthers and in looking at the string specs decided to buy TI Superalloys because the tension of the 5th string for the Power Brights is very low and quite out of balance with the rest of the strings. So if yours is a 5 string and you like warm AND articulate musicality, I would take a look at the Superalloys. I am absolutely, totally, head-over-heels in love with my Electroline and will never sell it. There is so much you can do with those pickups and the preamp. Rick's basses are greatly over-looked gems in my estimation.

9. Rick Turner

Rick Turner Commercial User

Jul 14, 2004
    I design and build electric basses and pickups under the Turner, Renaissance, and Electroline brand names.
    Thanks for the nice comments, guys. One of the newer features is that I put in a dual concentric tone pot and have the small knob cut treble for the piezo only, and the larger,lower knob cuts treble for the magnetic(s). Rolling the highs off the piezo, but leaving them on for the magnetic circuit results in killer tone. What you'll find is that the piezos actually have more deep low end than the mags, so you can use the piezo as kind of a woofer...if you can conceptually turn that analogy 180 degrees around.

mtb777 likes this.
  10. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Rick,

While you're here...quick question about my fretless (pictured above).

I'm not exactly sure what the three-way switch that your shop added does to the tone. I think it's a high-pass filter for the piezo (with mute being the down position)...is that right? It seems to cut some of the ultra lows.

It's an amazing bass!

Marshall

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Howdy, Rick! That bass that Pat (cheezewiz) is borrowing is actually mine (which you very recently retrofitted with the dual tone stack at my request). I think that this was a very useful improvement, and I totally agree with your comments, above. Roll off the highs on the piezo's, and leave 'em cranked on the magnetic. The low end out of those piezo's totally surprised me! :)

Great piece of work, there!

Tom.

12. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    How did I not see that one coming. =)

That's very cool of you Tom, commendable in my book.

I will say that the low end that comes out of My Rob Allen's piezo system is UNREAL, I can't think of a bass with more low end punch and depth. It's amazing what some talented luthiers can do.

13. Rick Turner

Rick Turner Commercial User

Jul 14, 2004
    I design and build electric basses and pickups under the Turner, Renaissance, and Electroline brand names.
    The three way switch is indeed a high pass filter, accomplished by changing the resistive load on the pickup. It's an on-off-on switch, so the middle position will be relatively flat down to subsonic with the two other positions bringing in some low cut.

EdwardofHuncote likes this.