Turner Renaissance bass owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jongor, Jan 1, 2004.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    I just bought one of these basses and just love it, can't seem to put it down...

I was talking to an acoustic guitar playing friend today about controlling the humidity where ever his guitar is stored. His guitar top cracked last winter.

Does anyone know if this applies to the Renaissance basses? Should we be keeping them in the case or bag with some kind of humidifier?
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    All unfinished wood, regardless of whether it's a fretboard, the top to an acoustic instrument, or even a piece of furniture are subject to cracking if they dry out too much.

Fluctuations in humidity cause untreated wood to expand and contract far more than treated wood. Furthermore, untreated wood will dry out in a dry environment, when in the desert or the winter in northern cities, etc.

Ideally, you will store your instrument in a room with a humidifier running regularly, particularly if you live in a dry environment.
  3. I've owned one since last April, and nothing like that has happened yet. The main thing I noticed was that the neck seems to move a lot depeneding on the humidity. I've had to adjust the neck with the truss rod a few times already.
  4. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    "...Yes, you should humidify it like an acoustic. I wouldn't like to have
    it live at any less than about 35% RH; we build them at 45%..."