Turner Renaissance - Got one!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kezekiel, Mar 5, 2001.

1. kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    Well, I'm the proud new owner of a Rick Turner Renaissance 4-string acoustic-electric. Woody tone, mwah for days, incredibly easy to finger. Only complaints are that the edge of the body digs into the underside of my forearm when playing south of the fingerboard, and this sucker is seriously neck-heavy. The latter, I understand, can be corrected with an extention that Rick provides for $25.

What amazes me most about this bass is that the plugged-in sound is a faithful amplification of the unplugged sound; the tone sweep just changes the color somewhat. The electronics are dead quiet (quite a departure from my Ibanez, with its hellish treble buzz). Sound variety is pretty much a function of attack; play it up by the neck, and the upright-like tone is warm and true. Play by the bridge for a more modern tone.

The Tomastick-Infield Acousticore strings are a delight to play; very flexible and easy on the digits. Just like a classical guitar, you get the black marks on your fingers. I will be looking to see if they make them in a larger gauge, though; these are quite thin and don't have much bottom end.

Just braggin' and sharin'. Be well.

2. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

congrats....color me envious! I am (and have been) in the market for a REN since I met Rick and played a couple both at NAMM two years ago and later in Santa Cruz CA. They are the BEST basses I have ever played...but you know that, don't you. I perform solo mostly (yea, I know solo bassist....how can you do that?) and use loops ...and my main axe is a Washburn ABG (AB32....special edition NAMM show bass with custom Fishman electronics, rosewood back and sides and Engelmann Spruce top). A sweet axe, but I would lose it in a minute for a Ren.....someday soon I hope.
  3. kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    I felt like I was stealing it at $1,300. It's a special instrument, really nothing like it in my experience.

As an aside, when I told a guitarist that I had picked up this model, which is fretless, he had this to say:

G: "Know what the range of a fretless bass is?"
    Me: "Not really."
    G: "Twenty yards, if you can throw it that far."