Turning 25 minutes into 2 hours...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Spinal Tapper, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I have a last minute gig that popped up for the 20th of this month - that's less than 2 weeks away (which is only about 3-4 rehearsals). $100 a person (we're a trio) and free drinks all night.

It requires 2 one-hour sets. We're all experienced musicians, but we lack material - especially two hours worth. We've only played one show a few weeks back and it rocked hard, but there were 4 other bands so our 25 minute set didn't seem to make a difference to anyone - and it was our first time playing out together.

I heard there's no actual stage at this place, so we kind of just play on the side of this bar as background music. Regardless of where we're standing - I don't wanna suck it up...

Any tips or easy cover songs that would be quick to learn in the next few days???

We can "jam" too I guess...if we have to...we've all had experience in "jam bands" - me and the drummer are tight - we were in one for 2 years previous to this project, but I don't want to resort to "Jam in A" for 1.5 hours, and the guitar/singer doesn't know our older original stuff. BTW, we'd probably have the best luck playing 60's-70's cover stuff since that's what the guitar/singer knows, we might pull it off.

Any suggestions?

2. Three piece, being drums, bass, singer/guitar player?

In the 60s-70s rock vein...

Try Roadhouse Blues by the Doors. Always a crowd pleaser, super easy and you can jam on it for a long time.

Sylvio by Dylan

knockin on heavens door

Green River - CCR

Those four songs could cover half an hour easy.

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Doesn't sound to me like you were ready to accept that gig bud.

I'd be nervous about my preparedness.

4. What kind of music do you play. My 60's cover band has enough material for 4-5 hours, but if you're not into that music my suggestions may not help.

A lot of it depends on what the singer can learn. I find memorizing lyrics much harder than learning song structures (although I'm not a singer, so I guess that makes sense)

5. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Ha! Ok so I just hung up the phone with a prospective new band while reading this and this drummer I was speaking to said they have a big gig coming up a week from Saturday but they dont have a bass player or lead singer.

I said....ohhhhhhh noooooooooo I wont be doing that. He also sounded alot like Tommy Chong. So much so that I asked him if he knew where Dave was...

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

Somehow I bet they had a guitar player and drummer though. :) And probably no clue why a singer isn't interested in memorizing everything they have on their already learned list.

7. Shovelbone

Shovelbone Gold Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yonderville Georgia
    I just quit a trio because the lead guitarist/singer started booking gigs after two rehearsals and we only had about 10 songs down. His whole approach was to jam out on all the songs and turn a 3 or 4 minute song into a 10 to 12 minute jam. He wasnt interested in rehearsing and the last gig we did was a short set at a festival, about 1000 people in attendance and two of the songs he called out were songs that we hadn't even rehearsed. It was a train wreck to say the least. I honestly think you need a setlist of at least 20 to 30 songs before you commit to a gig. JMO!

8. Don't burn the bridge. Advise you aren't ready to play the gig or learn Pride and Joy in about 6 different keys. Shouldn't take more than an hour.

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Blitzkrieg Bop (Ramones)
    Sedated
    Rockaway Beach
    Beverly Hills (Weezer)
    Hard Days Night
    No Woman No Cry (Bob Marley)
    Stir It Up (Bob Marley)
    Mustang Sally
    Wooly Bully
    American Idiot (Greenday)
    How Far We've Come (Matchbox 20)
    The Middle (Jimmy Eat World)
    Sweet Home Alabamaaaarargh!
    Roadhouse Blues
    Dammit (Blink 182)
    Small Things (Blink 182)
    Anythin Anything (Dramamrama)
    Laid (Matt Nathansonn)
    Just Like Heaven (The Cure)

All the above a super easy bass songs (not sure about the other instruments), but they're structurally simple also. They're pretty much cover band standards and go over well too.

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    The thing about this gig is it's supposed to be real low-key. Total dive bar, probably will only be a few people there. I'm basically doing it for the dough. Me and the drummer are both in very serious bands already that spend all our money/time on touring, studios, albums, and hookers :p This is just for fun. You guys think I should've said "No" in the first place?

The guitarist/singer guy, lets call him John, said that he has other friends who would play the gig and was real open about "it's cool if we (the drummer and I) don't want to do it", but his bass/drummer probably not much better off than us. John played there once before and just literally had jammed with no set for 2 hours and had a blast.

John didn't go out of his way to book this show either, it was a last minute thing because someone backed out and he's friends with the owner.

Thanks for everyone who gave suggestions. We're definitely into the 60's stuff. I'm gonna check these songs out and see how possible it would be to get them down - at least to a recognizable level. I've already signed up and I'm not going to be a PU$$Ie about it and back out - plus I get to rock his all orig 66 J bass :ninja:

11. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

And for this they're willing to pay $300?

Something tells me it's not gonna be as dead as you expect.

12. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Hmmm, good point...maybe I should puss out afterall...:(

13. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    RougHouse
    1. Spend some time agreeing on what songs will be learned BEFORE each rehearsal. Make sure everybody can get a copy of the songs, burn them on a CD and then learn them, e.g., by listening to the CD when traveling to and from work.

2. Establish what key the song will be played in and make sure everybody can at least rough their part out BEFORE you start reheasring.

3. Don't let anybody talk you into playing their pet song if it's not an easy one to learn. Stick to easier, more repetitive stuff.

4. Don't be afraid to use cheat sheets on stage if you have to. Use eye contact, nods, etc. to signal transitional points in the song.

5. Don't be afraid to open with a few of your best songs and then repeat them at the very end. The late showers will not have heard you open, and the rest would probably rather hear you repeat something that you play well instead of a song you're not yet comfortable playing.

6. Good tunes for extended jams - some of the early Allman Brothers stuff is not too intricate - One Way Out, Southbound.

7. Most importantly - relax.

14. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    That was the business I've been looking for! Great suggestions. We're definitely going to be repeating 8-10 of our songs...:bag:

15. Anything with The Beatles, some of Dylans obvious stuff (tambourine man, knockin on heavens door etc.), Fogerty/Creedence (simpler than that it doesnt get).

That would eat at least one hour more for ya...

Then throw in some old blues/country tunes, versions from a Johnny Cash record, that'd buy you another 30 minutes...

and your'e home free..

D.Don

16. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm feelin a lot better about this! I know John knows a bunch of Dylan and J.Cash tunes, I'm sure I could pick up - I have a decent ear. Maybe some Willie Nelson. Well, of to rehearsal!

17. There you go!

After rehearsal you will not be worried at all anymore, most of those tunes are dead easy to grasp, you just make sure you have fun and you'll get the right feelin on them as well and peeps will love ya...

;)

D.Don

18. LOL!!

D.Don

19. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Power Trio... 60's stuff... good to jam on... I say: Cream. I'd at least play White Room and Sunshine of Your Love.

20. Free drinks! have a drink break every 2 songs for 20 mins +Extended 4min guitar solos and your in lol

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021