Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Turning a 4X10 on its side

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndrewShirley, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Sorry couldn't resist :smug:

- Andrew

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    :D

3. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Brilliant!

[​IMG]

4. synthetic overdrive from vibrating casters?

5. If you put a 4x10 on its side you'll have to lay on the floor with your bass or you won't hear anything!

6. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    in one ear... out the other...

bwah?!?1 :confused: :bag:

7. hmm_odd

hmm_odd Guest

Dec 14, 2005
    Stick some cushions ontop of it and you have yourself one hell of a subwoofer for watching action flicks ;)

8. It will work, as long as you switch the rotoswitch™ from 'vertical' to 'horizontal'...

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    it'll blow up, i've seen it.

10. m3 bl0w @w@y teh sc|-|r0€dEr 310212 eazzzylili Wh3n m3 d|d that!!11!111!!!1!!!!shiftone!!!!!1

:smug:

11. Wait.. is it a 4ohm cabinet?!

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Excellent!

I've heard that the patent-pending Rotoswitch really doesn't do anything, though. However the company replied that nobody has complained of their 4x10 cabinet self-destructing when placed on its side when the Rotoswitch was engaged, therefore it must be doing its job . . .

13. Its a 4-ohm cab, should I switch to 8-ohm? Or get a 2nd and run them in series? I know its 4-ohm because I tested it with my ohm-meter.

- Andrew

14. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    you guys are mean

and very funny

15. hehehehe. this has given me a wicked idea:

8x10 as a couch. bass maxed out, cab hooked up to a hifi amp.
    Then put ona scary movie; when the bass comes through, have your girl seated on said cab.

She'll be jumping into your arms for more than one reason! :p

16. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Or she'll stop jumping in your arms and spend every night sitting on the cab watching movies with lotsa bass.

17. I'm afraid you have been misinformed my friend!

The rotoswitch does indeed work as claimed. I know it may sound like it defies several fundamental physical laws... BUT... the rotoswitch actually re-orientates the gravity field around the speaker cabinet, so it still believes it is sitting vertically! (The are a number of unfortunate side-effects you may have noticed... like the cabinet will slide sideways into the nearest wall unless properly restrained. Also remember not to put your beer, amp, or attempt to sit on top of it)

18. No no, you can put your beer on it, but on the "top" of the cabinet, which is now one of the sides to our eyes. However, it will still fizz over when you play your bass. Its just that the fizz will no longer fall on your floor - may hit the wall though. What you should do in this case is make sure that gravity returns to normal immediately over a pan. No mess.

- Andrew

19. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ok, i'll bite

i've done it quite a bit.

when i used an eden 210 xlt and an swr goliath1 that i installed the eden pop out casters on. I put the 410 on top as the 210 had much better bass, and the 410 had better mids. for a long time i would remove the pop out casters from the 410 so they would stack. I fianlly said "screw this" and started putting the 410 on sideways as the dimensions were the same. Sure, i had a sideways logo and wheels sticking out of my top cab, but heck, sometime drunks had fun spinning the wheels.

:D

20. Now that's practical. I pop out the 2 rear castors so that the amp looks up at me while sitting on the stage.

- Andrew