Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Turning a blown amp into a cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bertbassplayer, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Well.... my combo's power amp (or something dealing with it) went dead. I was thinking about getting a head, and turning the combo into just a cabinet. Bypassing the power amp and all that. I was wondering if anyone had any experience doing this, or had any opinions on it.

The reason I'm doing this, is becuase the two speakers are fine, and I can't really afford to buy a cabinet at this time.

2. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Just curious, what brand/model of combo is it?
    With some combos, the head is plugged into the speaker with a removable jack (Gallien Krueger combos are built like this, for example.) Just unplug the head from the cab, and plug the new head's speaker output into the cab. This is easy to do, and I do it occasionally. Just make sure the new head isn't too powerful for the speakers, and that the impedance ratings are compatible. Other combos are hardwired together, with no way to manually detach the speaker from the head (the SWR Workingman combos are built like this.) You'll probably have to get a tech to help you if this is the case.

3. Its a Peavey

4. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Go to your local electronics store, buy an 1/4" out put jack. Install it into the cabinet. Attach the speaker wires to it in the proper phase. Pretty simple if you have the correct tools. If your speaker is hard wired to the cabinet just cut the cable and add a 1/4" jack and maybe some extra speaker wire to get it to reach the new amp. Do not use an instrument cable for this. Without seeing the back of your current amp or knowing the model its pretty hard to give specific instructions, but it is a pretty easy mod.

5. The fact that you are asking this question tells me that you haven't had any experience at all with amplifiers, accept playing through them of course. Better leave this task to someone who does this sort of thing. The place where you buy the amp head probably has a tech who would do this for you for a nominal fee. jmho

6. Hey guys. I have an old Peavey Microbass, and I was thinking of turning it into a moniter.

There is an output jack on the back of the cab, so would it be just fine to open 'er up, then take the wires off of the amp, then connect them directly onto the jack, then just plug into my main amp?

7. Should work.:D