1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Turning a Harley benton PB-Shorty into a JB-Shorty.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by blablas, Jan 20, 2015.

1. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    It looks really nice, @blablas ! Very clean, very precise. I like the look for the chrome screws, but black on black
    is never a bad choice, either!

I notice the pole pieces on the p'up are different heights. Did you do this on purpose?

2. That's how the pickup came from the box.
    The middle ones are positioned higher to more or less follow the curvature of the fingerboard.

3. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    Gotcha. Although I'm quite happy with the sound from my bass, I'm still curious to try out that pickup and see what it does.

4. The official portrait:
    MMB_shorty.

The triplets together:
    DSC_0680.

5. I'm going to rebuild another P-Shorty in the near future, decided where I want to go with it.... 51-P-Shorty!

Pickup will be a Haeussel P-Bass OldStyle humbucker, the pick guard will probably be tort, everything else as much stock as possible.
    The pickup will get a switch for series/single/parallel mode. The controls will just be passive volume and tone.

But first I need to finish my full custom build 12 string.... Now there is a extra motivation to hurry and finish it.:thumbsup:

More details once the pickup and bass are ordered and the rebuild starts.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  6. The modifying itch is here again!

I just can't get used to the one that only has the P pickup, I really miss the bite a bridge pickup gives me.
    Time to start on a PJ, or to be more specific - I am going to add a J pickup (dual coil with a parallel/series switch) to my PB-Shorty....
    Which will turn it into a PJB-Shorty. KkeEFUtNM33ZpHEyEkQP.

I've already got the pickup, a couple of small but essential parts are on order for this modification, once these are in I'll be doing some updates here.

This realization also means I need to rethink the plan I had for the 51-P conversion.:sorry:
    For the time being this one will be on hold.

7. mini_PJ.
    Finished doodling with the standard(ish) PB-Shorty.
    Finally came to the conclusion I don't really like this bass without a bridge pickup. I had an old (unbranded) bridge position J style dual coil pickup floating around in my parts box, decided to put this one in. The controls are volume/balance/tone and a series/parallel switch for the bridge pickup.

Now that I can dial in the bite of a bridge pickup it sounds exactly the way I want it to.
    The only thing still wrong is that this old pickup is seriously microphonic, a DiMarzio DP148 is on it's way to solve this problem.

Some pictures during the modifying process:
    DSC_1057.

Routed the cavity and drilled a hole to make the jack a side-mount.

DSC_1076.
    Painted the cavity with conductive paint.

And some detail pictures:
    DSC_1109. DSC_1097.

8. jlh60

jlh60

Aug 21, 2009
    Warren ,Mi
    Am I correct in assuming the bridge and pickups are the same as used on a 34" scale bass?

9. yes, all the dimensions are identical to a 34" scale bass, except the scale.

10. .... the body dimension is also scaled down. Pickup position is rescaled to 30" scale.

11. Got the replacement DiMarzio yesterday.
    DSC_1151.
    Experienced some problems with the wiring while replacing the old pickup, it also took a while to adjust the two pickups to get an even sound from both together.

In the end I'm glad I did replace this pickup, the new one sounds better and is dead quiet, no microphonic noise and no hum.

gsnad2000 likes this.
  12. And finished the (hopefully) final 'nit pick' session yesterday evening.
    miniPbv2.
    Straightened the alignment of the bridge.
    At first I didn't really notice it was mounted crooked but with the placement of the bridge pickup I immediately saw something was out of line, either the pickup or the bridge (of course it was the bridge :D, not my pickup placement),
    The more I looked at it the more crooked it seemed! Decided to fill the existing screw holes and after that mounted the bridge on straight.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
    josiah goldfish likes this.
  13. A Jazz Bass needs block-inlays.;)
    hb_j_shorty_bl.
    Added some inlay stickers to the JB-Shorty.

Jonny5bass likes this.
  14. Made a new pickguard for the MMB-Shorty.
    Old:
    MMB_shorty.
    Got bored with this one.:smug:

New:
    hb_mm_shorty_g.
    I was making one last week for the upcoming RiB-Shorty conversion project and I could get two pickguards from one pickguard plate.

Sem Thewissen likes this.
  15. A bit bored waiting for the next PB-Shorty that should be delivered today...
    To kill some time made and edited a picture of the things that are already prepared for this one.
    DSC_1893.
    Not sure yet which pickguard ring I'm going to use for the bridge position, for the time being I'm using the black one.

16. ... 20 Minutes after my previous post.
    Delivered.
    DSC_1899.

17. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

Jun 21, 2012
    Gent, Belgium
    Looking forward to this...

18. Skarsoul

Skarsoul

Aug 3, 2013
    Just so you're aware, this little side project of yours inspired me to take the bridge pickup out of one of my Mikro 5 strings, add a MM to the bridge with a 2band EQ (vol/bal/bas/treb). . . and now I'm looking at my little bronco sitting in the corner going. . . I've got a set of strat pickups and a box of dpdt switches. . . what was that fancy shtuff Brian May did to the red special?

19. Aligned the tuners (and removed the stickers).
    Before:
    DSC_1907.
    after:
    DSC_1917.
    No filling and drilling, there was just enough space to move the tuners around in a aligned position after loosening the screws.

Routed the cavities for the pickups in the body.
    DSC_1912.

20. DSC_1926.
    Drilled the hole for the sidejack....
    And with doing that created a serious repair job for myself. :banghead:
    While the drill-bit was coming through a big chunk of wood broke out on the topside, luckily it was a clean break on the woodgrain, repaired it almost invisible, you can still see some very thin lines where the breakout was - these lines are primarily how the light breaks on the thick polyurethane top-coating, I cant feel them.

DSC_1922.
    After this repair I mounted the bridge and neck to check how the pickups aligned with the strings... judge for yourself. :)