1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Turning a Harley benton PB-Shorty into a JB-Shorty.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by blablas, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Shielded the controls cavity.
    DSC_1934.
    DSC_1937.
    This should be enough, the pickups are fully shielded constructed and will be connected with a shielded cable.

2. Harley Benton RiB-shorty project is done.
    hb_ri_shorty.

Detail pictures:
    DSC_1997.
    DSC_1977.

This was a smooth and simple conversion, only minor setback was the breaking out if the chunk of wood while drilling the hole for the sidejack.

Verdict:
    This one was the best made HB instrument I've had in my hands until now. Nice tight(ish) fitting neck/neck-pocket, frets are level and there are no sharp fret ends, only two tuners were a little bit misaligned that were fixable without any 'filling and drilling'. I replaced one bridge saddle due to the fact that the height adjustment screws were not at an straight angle to the intonation screw (the original one worked okay but I don't like these small disturbing details).
    I also placed a neck shim, this was not necessary but I prefer to have the strings a little bit higher in the bridge position.

These Chinese toasters sound amazingly Rick-ish, even though they are dual coils (in series), the round rolling sound with a bite, the only minus is that they are slightly microphonic.

Maartenaerts likes this.
  3. jbefumo

jbefumo

Sep 1, 2014
    Very cool, and timely, as I'm looking into one of these myself (alternative being the more costly Squire Jaguar bass.) Curious about the pickguard fit -- is it the same size as a standard p-bass pickguard? Would probably go with a P-J pickup combination myself, but prefer a black-on-black color scheme.

Joe

4. Afraid not.
    dxhfCpw.
    The lower one is a standard P pickguard.

5. jbefumo

jbefumo

Sep 1, 2014
    Thanks -- kind of suspected as much.